1996 J15FRLEDR Evinrude 15HP 4 Stroke Shift Lever stuck

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a frozen shift lever. I can dis-connect the shift rod itself (the vertical rod that goes from the linkage under the cowl down the leg) and I can disconnect the linkage that works the starter inter-lock. Still.....the shift lever will not budge.

It seems to be the short shaft itself.....the part that makes contact with the Stainless-steel detent sprint.

Looking at the parts diagram....the shaft seems to ride in 2 plastic bushings. It's hard to imagine what could be causing it to seize.

What would you do? I've tried tapping the shaft from the left....no success. I've tried rotating it as hard as I dare.....

Any suggestions? It's the shaft #80....along with the two bushings #7

Attachments

• 16A.jpg
    16A.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 0

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1996 J15FRLEDR Evinrude 15HP 4 Stroke Shift Lever stuck

When did it last work?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's been sitting for about a year. It was like that when I got it. The PO mentioned it....but neither of us thought it was going to be a big deal.
The odd thing is....most of the parts appear to be Stainless steel....no rust visible anywhere....

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Ive had the same thing happen myself, it seemed to defy reason. I ended up snapping the lever as i was sure it would eventually move- on disassembly it was dried grease that had caked and stuck it.
Maybe heat would of fixed it, or melted the bushings.....

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You managed to tap the shaft to the right???? How did you eventually get it out for inspection?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try some PB Blaster on it and let it soak. Paientence !!

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks boobie....

I've been doing exactly that.....and have gotten it to move. It looks like I'll have to drive the shaft out and perhaps replace the plastic bushings; even with working it all afternoon it is still barely moveable. It looks like there's a spacer in there as well....in the middle.

Has this been a common occurrence?

I think I'll lie the motor on it's side and let the PB have the advantage of gravity....