Dual Cable Mechanical or Hydraulic?

gidrac

Seaman Apprentice
Since my previous attempts to correct my very tight steering were unsuccessful (read my previous post ) , I'm looking into replacing my current steering with a dual cable mechanical or a hydraulic system. (I figure if I'm going to pay 400.00 for a dual cable, maybe I should just shell out a few hundred more and get the hydraulic).<br /><br />Three questions:<br /><br />1) Which would you go with and why?<br /><br />2) Is one more easily installed over the other?<br /><br />3) For the dual cable mechanical, where would I get the connection piece that hooks the two cables up to the engine? I beleive this is a engine manufacturer part and not sold by the steering company (Teleflex). Also, the correct name of this part would be helpful.<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />1997 V6 150 HP Evinrude

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Dual Cable Mechanical or Hydraulic?

How big is your engine? How fast is the boat?

angus63

Captain

I have same set-up and have been using st'd teleflex helm for years without incident. Still spins with one finger during manuevers. Have you been lubricating the motor pivot zirc fitting located under the trailer rest arm?

gidrac

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by angus63:<br />Have you been lubricating the motor pivot zirc fitting located under the trailer rest arm?
Yes, I have. I even puchased Cable Buddy and installed it. No help. BTW, I was told that the motor pivot zirc fitting does not lube the inside of the tilt tube and steering ram, only the tilt bearings. Nonetheless, I have been lubing it.

angus63

Captain

NO NO NO ........ Not the two obvious zirc fittings on the tilt tube. There is a fitting on your motor for grease on the port side hidden under the trailer bracket. Raise the motor up, reach down and swing the trailer bracket towards the boat, and you will see a grease fitting for lubing the vertical shaft that the motor turns on while steering. Pump the silly thing full until you see clean new grease flowing from the top and bottom relief holes. The tilt tube fittings have no affect on steering. Let me know how you make out.<br />Good Luck

gidrac

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by angus63:<br /> NO NO NO ........ Not the two obvious zirc fittings on the tilt tube. There is a fitting on your motor for grease on the port side hidden under the trailer bracket. Raise the motor up, reach down and swing the trailer bracket towards the boat, and you will see a grease fitting for lubing the vertical shaft that the motor turns on while steering. Pump the silly thing full until you see clean new grease flowing from the top and bottom relief holes. The tilt tube fittings have no affect on steering. Let me know how you make out.<br />Good Luck
Thanks. I never knew that was there. I will give it a shot, but the motor swings very easy when the steering cable is detached. So, I'm pretty sure it most likely is the cable.

gidrac

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone...<br /><br />3) For the dual cable mechanical, where would I get the connection piece that hooks the two cables up to the engine? I beleive this is a engine manufacturer part and not sold by the steering company (Teleflex). Also, the correct name of this part would be helpful.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boats