5.7 GXI DP Water leak at Pivot and/or Gimbal?????

jaydub503

Cadet
So I was having an overheat problem that I just fixed caused by the Raw water pump having two o-rings from an impeller change.

When I was diagnosing the overheat, I flushed my manifolds with fresh water to see if I had a blockage causing the overheat, there was water coming out the drive where it was supposed to be, but water was also exiting some where from the gimbal/pivot. I couldn't exactly tell due to the boat on a lift and I had to get in a canoe to get up underneath the boat.

Question, is water only supposed to exit through the exhaust port on the drive or is there another exit as well? There is no water coming into the bilge.

Thank you for the help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.7 GXI DP Water leak at Pivot and/or Gimbal?????

What drive do you have? 5.7GXi is the engine not the drive, plus you missed the last letters after the GXi that gives the rest of the model number.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Can't say for sure, but if you look at the bottom of the transom shield. Bet there is a couple of ports where you will get water and exhaust when on muffs. They are known as idle relief ports.
A picture of them would be handy for future posters if you can get a couple of shots.

jaydub503

Cadet

Ok, that may explain it. It was directly under the transom shield. It felt like a port of some sort. I was able to stick my hand in there. Remember I was only flushing the manifolds with a water hose from the supply hose off the thermostat housing.

Next time I am out on the river, I will take some photos and post. I live an hour away from the boat.

Thank you Don.

jaydub503

Cadet

BTW, overheat problem was due to double O-Rings on the Raw water pump housing. I suppose I was sucking air at that point. When I changed the impeller out, I did not see a O-ring to remove. Well it was set inside the pump. Removed the duplicate O-ring, hooked it back up, No overheat!