8 hp 1980 2 cycle Evinrude carb removal possible without flywheel removal?

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone
trying to remove carb from a 2 cycle 1980 8 hp engine but I could not reach some screws due to the flywheel interfering. looks to me that the only way is to remove flywheel-something i don't have experience with and prefer if there is a way without removing flywheel.

mariner1.jpgmariner2.jpg
Did anyone had a similar experience with this model or similar models? any way removing carb without flywheel removal?

thanks in advance
sameh

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 8 hp 1980 2 cycle Evinrude carb removal possible without flywheel removal?

hi.
to unbot carb yo need to unbolt 2 bolts , upper one holding revind starter,
after just tilt rewind mechanism and you get acces to carb
ofcourse black box and chocke leaver also
But yo DONT NEED to take out flywheel

nwcove

Admiral

ive never heard of having to remove the flywheel to get at the carb nuts.it should just be a matter of taking a few pics of the linkages, then remove only what you have to there. then remove the two 5/16 bolts at the top of the starter assembly and gently tilt the assembly forward...DO NOT lift up on it or you will have a pita job on your hands. the rope guide rod will probably fall out, but its easy to put back in. that will give you easy access to the tiller side nut on the carb.

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ive never heard of having to remove the flywheel to get at the carb nuts.it should just be a matter of taking a few pics of the linkages, then remove only what you have to there. then remove the two 5/16 bolts at the top of the starter assembly and gently tilt the assembly forward...DO NOT lift up on it or you will have a pita job on your hands. the rope guide rod will probably fall out, but its easy to put back in. that will give you easy access to the tiller side nut on the carb.

many thanks

I have added 2 pictures in the main thread. my problem is reaching the inner bolt of the carb that is blocked by the starter system and outside part of the carb (sorry i am not good in the names)...

what removing 2 bolts from the upper of the starter assembly I am left with the lower 2 bolts! one of those i cannot reach. will the starter assembly move any way? to the outside direction?

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi.
to unbot carb yo need to unbolt 2 bolts , upper one holding revind starter,
after just tilt rewind mechanism and you get acces to carb
ofcourse black box and chocke leaver also
But yo DONT NEED to take out flywheel

many thanks
pictures attached
please consider my question quoting NWCOVE...

thanks for your great help...

happy the flywheel should not be removed...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

You do not need to remove lower starter bolts. Spring will stretch to allow you to lift recoil up and out of the way.

w2much

Lieutenant

FYI. Google to Leeroysramblings. Lots of good info for your motor there.