Front grab rail damage

jlemberg

Seaman
Looks like Taylor Creek Marina in Fort Pierce bent my front railing down about 45 degrees. My question is, how are they going to fix this? Its creased, so you cant pound it out without leaving damage? I would imagine thats what they a will attempt if I know them. Are those rails even replaceable on a 1999 boat?

99 AS 215 Explorer.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Front grab rail damage

Commonly, those railings are a combination of angled fittings and aluminum tubing. The tubing won't be repairable and should be replaced. Living where you do, I would think there are marine metal fabricators around you who construct wake towers and that sort of thing. They should be able to easily replicate the bending of the original rail without creasing it. The one I got replaced last year ran me $50 in coastal North Carolina.

I doubt your marina can do the work themselves but they may have somebody they use. Also, look at your other tubing and fittings. this might be a good time to replace pitted hardware with new stainless fittings.

jlemberg

Seaman

Commonly, those railings are a combination of angled fittings and aluminum tubing. The tubing won't be repairable and should be replaced. Living where you do, I would think there are marine metal fabricators around you who construct wake towers and that sort of thing. They should be able to easily replicate the bending of the original rail without creasing it. The one I got replaced last year ran me $50 in coastal North Carolina.

I doubt your marina can do the work themselves but they may have somebody they use. Also, look at your other tubing and fittings. this might be a good time to replace pitted hardware with new stainless fittings.

They are going to probably take a rubber mallet and pound it up. If they get the chance. My plan right now is to take a hit on the boat and sell or donate it for scrap. Chalk it up to experience. Anyone want an NADA valued 10k boat for about 3k?

UncleWillie

Captain

They are going to probably take a rubber mallet and pound it up. If they get the chance. My plan right now is to take a hit on the boat and sell or donate it for scrap. Chalk it up to experience. Anyone want an NADA valued 10k boat for about 3k?

You are going to scrap the boat because of a bent bow rail! :eek:
That sounds a little drastic to me.

Bow rails are like Bimini Tops.
Dozens of makers, they are really not all that unique and easily replaced.

jlemberg

Seaman

You are going to scrap the boat because of a bent bow rail! :eek:
That sounds a little drastic to me.

Bow rails are like Bimini Tops.
Dozens of makers, they are really not all that unique and easily replaced.

No there is more to the story than that. Over the years, that place has killed my desire to own a boat. It's alot more than the bimini and the rails. I had tried to sell it, but got tired of tire kickers etc. Need a break from boating.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I tried that "break" once. Sold mine for $23K,,, ended up replacing a few years later for over $60K. Took that long to save the cash.... don't be too quick. Better to find another marina.

No there is more to the story than that. Over the years, that place has killed my desire to own a boat. It's got alot more to do with the bimini and the rails. I had tried to sell it, but got tired of tire kickers etc. Need a break from boating.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

so your question isn't really "how to fix a bent bow rail" especially since it shouldn't be you fixing it, but them. Go get the price for someone else and get the money from them.

Or if you are going to sell out anyway, figure the diminution in value for a bent rail--knock off $100?

jlemberg

Seaman

IMG_20130426_174739_890.jpg
so your question isn't really "how to fix a bent bow rail" especially since it shouldn't be you fixing it, but them. Go get the price for someone else and get the money from them.

Or if you are going to sell out anyway, figure the diminution in value for a bent rail--knock off $100?

It's crimped. Didn't pull out of theglass, but was close. Yeah wanted to get an idea how it would "properly" be fixed. See attachment above.

saumon

Lieutenant

If "they" make that, there's no way they can only try to hammer it. Best would be to replace the whole bow rail or, at least, cut and weld a new portion between the two vertical rails.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

My 1st thought was cut & weld-- but the struts have to be out of shape now too... so much would need cut a new one would be better