Sealant

firemanfitz

Seaman Apprentice
I have to remove some transducer srews on the transom (aluminum) and screw them back in. I am looking for a silicone sealant to put on the threads for added security and also around the perimeter of the metal bracket. Should i use the marine 4200 or can I use something like ge silicone 11. tx

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: Sealant

You will find a marine grade sealant will last much longer. I have not had much sucess with the GE silicone except for around a bathtub.
Silicone sealants appear to not stay attatched as long as marine sealants. One that I have had a lot of sucess with is "goop", so far it works on everything and has not let go.

Airshot

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sealants such as 3M 4200/5200 are polyurethane sealants designed for water emersion locations. GE silicone II is water resistant; but not designed for underwater locations. It'll work for a while.
The 4200 cures faster than 5200. 5200 is classified as a 'fast' cure (goes tack free in 3 - 5 hours) that fully cures in 7-10 days. Also 5200 is to be used on permanent applications (removal is much tougher than 4200). I prefer 4200 because nothing's permanent in my world.
Good luck. . .

series60

Chief Petty Officer

I have to remove some transducer srews on the transom (aluminum) and screw them back in. I am looking for a silicone sealant to put on the threads for added security and also around the perimeter of the metal bracket. Should i use the marine 4200 or can I use something like ge silicone 11. tx

I use tube epoxy for small holes and screw waterproofing. You can buy them most big box stores. Easy to use and no mess.

tubeepoxy.jpg

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use tube epoxy for small holes and screw waterproofing. You can buy them most big box stores. Easy to use and no mess.

Boat US magazine for April-May has an informative article entitled "How to pick the right sealant". They say silicone does not age well and leaves a residue that prevents adhesion of new sealants. There are other sealants more suitable for boats, IMO.

jcfitzgerald

Seaman Apprentice

I have had plain silicone sealant last for many years on screw holes and never leak on my small boats. All the boat shops nearby use plain silicone, especially on aluminum boats, and say not to bother wasting your $ on the expensive stuff. Freshwater only around here. Some entities are simply trying to sell sealants. So what if you might have to redo it in five years? Many people don't keep a boat that long anyway. Sometimes good enough is enough.