A few questions for the glassers

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Pardon any misuse of terms. My epoxy experience to date is limited to treating a a dozen or so window sills. Those projects have held up extremely well.

The previous owner of this boat attempted to create a storage area under the seat. I have refilled the area with tightly packed foam and was planning to follow a suggestion from another thread and just put an epoxy and painted plywood cap over the entire seat. Even with the epoxy I hated to do that to an all aluminum boat that must stay outside for 3 winter months each year.

seat-2.jpg

Then I got to thinking and what I wonder is could I not use epoxy and glass mat over the foam with the first wet layer tucked under the rim of the cutout and the second layer of mat cut to fit the shape of the opening or overlapping it? Once fully epoxied in, sanded and painted it should blend in nicely.

But will it last?
What weight mat to use?
If overlapping will the epoxy bond to the sanded aluminum?
If not overlapping will it crack where the epoxy abuts the metal?
Should I just go back to the initial plan?

Or do you have a better suggestion?

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: A few questions for the glassers

My understanding was that the polyester stuff would dissolve foam but the epoxy resin was safe for direct contact. So I quess that makes another question to answer. :)

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: A few questions for the glassers

My understanding was that the polyester stuff would dissolve foam but the epoxy resin was safe for direct contact. So I guess that makes another question to answer. :)

Polyester will dissolve many foam products.
Epoxy is generally safe with most foam products.
A sample test will answer the question in about 3 seconds.
The down side is that Epoxy resins cost many time more than Polyester resins.