Larson 15 bow rider with rotten stringers bc they weren't glassed over. Factory help?

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
I have a second hand 93' Larson 15 All American run about bow rider that the stringers and subsequently the floor are/is rotting out. The factory had not put any fiberglass reinforcement up and around the stringers. Just a little matte up part of the sides. The stringers are constructed using plywood and foam then a little bit of fiberglass. This seems to me to be a poor way of doing things.
Anyone have any experience dealing with Larson factory and do you think it is worth me asking for assistance $ in fixing it?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Larson 15 bow rider with rotten stringers bc they weren't glassed over. Factory h

Ten year old boat? I don't think you can expect any help from Larson, but it does no harm to ask. You can get plenty of help from the members on the build and repair forum I will move this there for you.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Larson 15 bow rider with rotten stringers bc they weren't glassed over. Factory h

On a 20 years old second hand boat???

pevaguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When you bought it, did you pay extra for an extended warranty? I have a Larson All American that has been in the family since '67, I think the warranty on mine may be expired.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a second hand 93' Larson 15 All American run about bow rider that the stringers and subsequently the floor are/is rotting out. The factory had not put any fiberglass reinforcement up and around the stringers. Just a little matte up part of the sides. The stringers are constructed using plywood and foam then a little bit of fiberglass. This seems to me to be a poor way of doing things.
Anyone have any experience dealing with Larson factory and do you think it is worth me asking for assistance $ in fixing it?

Ayuh,.... Boats are built by Oem's to Sell,.... Not last Forever....

20 year old cars, 'round here are also Junk, with salt rot up to the windows...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The only attention you'll get on a 20 yr. old second hand boat from the factory is laughed at.:laugh:

That may not even be the original factory work on a 20 yr. old boat, but we do see a lot of really bad factory glassing jobs on stringers in this forum... especially on older boats.

One thing is for sure though, if you do this repair work yourself and do it right you'll have the satisfaction of knowing it's better than when it came from the factory... and that's something you'll be able to be proud of.

tpenfield

Staff member

$$$ assistance from the boat manufacturer . . . after 20 years. . . ??? C'mon, man !!!

Just join the crowd on the restoration forum, and start having 'fun'.

BTW - what you described in terms of glassing (or lack there of) on the stringers is a fairly common practice with many production boats, so it is not like a 'defect' or anything.

My Formula 242 (1991) had glass tabbing and glass on the top part of the stringer, then just resin in between.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Guess I'm gonna get busy cutting the floor out and doing it right...some day. Summer here now and we use the boat extensively, like at least once a week. It's a good boat except fore above mentioned.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

You should check your transom and make sure that is not rotting/rotten.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Guess I'm gonna get busy cutting the floor out and doing it right...some day. Summer here now and we use the boat extensively, like at least once a week. It's a good boat except fore above mentioned.

Summer is the best time for boat restoration... resins, adhesives, and paints set and cure much quicker with less problems. There's also more daylight time for boat work too, people are also more willing to help in warmer weather.

.. but if you want to ride around in a rotten glasser, that's up to you... you won't be alone, there's millions of them out there.