Max HP question

tfcbones

Recruit
I have purchased an open utility style Crestliner and will be replacing the 15hp tiller with a larger remote (side console) steering model. The plate on the back says the max power is 24kW which translates to 32.something HP. To be safe I'd consider only putting a 30HP motor on this boat. The interesting thing is that the boat is a 1985. So back in '85 the weight of a 30HP is less than a 30HP 4 stroke, also power ratings for most outboards were done at the head where today they're measured at the prop(implying more HP at the head). Given I'm looking at getting a 4 stroke, should I be considering the extra weight and more power of today's 30's and take it down to a 25 or is there enough "over provisioning" in safety when they assign the "32.something"HP?

Let me know your thoughts.

Bones...

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: Max HP question

in 85 hp was at prop.tag says 30hp or 32 then 30hp 4stoke no big deal,as long as the total combined max is not over your safe.by that i mean max combined weight of motor gear people .

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

You will be fine,just don't exceed the total weight capacity(persons,motor,gear).
Some boats have 2 different Hp restrictions...one for tiller and one for remote.The remote being more as it normally puts you forward in the boat so not as much weight all in the stern.
Read some good reviews on those 2 stroke 25-30hp etecs,North American owned and built...little pricey though

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

4 stroke motors have been around for years, since the early 60's for sure.

And Honda has been selling them here for over 50 years.

tfcbones

Recruit

You will be fine,just don't exceed the total weight capacity(persons,motor,gear).
Some boats have 2 different Hp restrictions...one for tiller and one for remote.The remote being more as it normally puts you forward in the boat so not as much weight all in the stern.
Read some good reviews on those 2 stroke 25-30hp etecs,North American owned and built...little pricey though

Oh I'd love an e-tec. But the odds of finding a used 30 remote elec long ptt at a decent price.... I have a better chance winning the lottery.

NYBo

Admiral

Oh I'd love an e-tec. But the odds of finding a used 30 remote elec long ptt at a decent price.... I have a better chance winning the lottery.
If you win the lottery, I don't think the cost of an E-TEC will be a problem!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I have a beautiful 4 stroke Suzuki DF 30. Fits all your requirements: long shaft, power tilt/trim, remote steering and controls. It is a remarkable engine. If you are near the Philly area and want to look at it, send me a private message.

tfcbones

Recruit

4 stroke motors have been around for years, since the early 60's for sure.

And Honda has been selling them here for over 50 years.

This actually helps a lot. I didn't realize until you typed this here that the manufacturers must have looked at the market to determine what the worst offenders for torque/HP and weight were at the time. I feel comfortable with putting a 4 stroke 30 Yam/Hon/Mercotsu on there now.

Thanks everyone.

Bones...