Disconnect Throttle Cable

tidehunter

Cadet
throttle cables.jpgHi, New to this forum, hope someone can give me some advice.

2002 Mercury 150 V6 Outboard, Saltwater Carburetor. I need to replace the rigging tube. Can't quite figure out how to disconnect the throttle cables. Got the ends disconnected from the linkage easy enough. Seems like the two screws I need to remove to free them from from the part that holds them in place to the motor housing have solder where you would put the screwdriver tip. This indicates to me that I shouldn't touch them, but I need to remove them from this spot in order to feed them back through the tube. Can I remover these or is there another way? Should I melt the solder out and unscrew the screws? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Disconnect Throttle Cable

No on melting anything. The piece of plastic that is behind the solder screws you mentioned has a tab on the top. if you will look on both sides of the top screw you will see that the piece of plastic is solid on the rear side but has a slot on the forward side. Just grasp the tab at the top and push it aft. It will fall down and give you access to your barrels.

Mark

tidehunter

Cadet

Glad you got-r fixed.

Thanks for the help Mark.

Got the new rigging hose all done, new antenna, new bow nav light, new washdown pump, new plugs, changed lower unit oil, new fuel/water separator, Fired her up....purrs like a kitten.... new mount for stereo (old one broke), lubed bearings on trailer, new clip for winch, new safety chains (cables rotted). Checked trailer lights, tire pressure. Washed, Waxed, filled with gas/oil, proper safety gear. Got my MA saltwater fishing license, tuna permit, comm. striped bass permit, nmf groundfish permit and operator ID, trailer reg., Boat reg, TWIC card, OUPV Captians Lic, WHEW........... Still got to respool a couple rods. Just need the fish to show up. Any day now!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You got enough paperwork to bog down the boat. :) Good luck!