Starter Problems on 350 merc

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all, its been a while since ive been here and i need some help! I need starter help and just want to get peoples opinion on the experience i had at my local marine repair shop. First the stupid little plastic drain elbow broke off the exhaust manifold last fall (i posted about it) so i took it to the repair shop and they told me no problem should take about an hour and be around $140. So two weeks go by and i call and they haven't even started yet and told me it would be done by wed, this was last Saturday. So i call today and they said yea it was done a week ago "i thought we called", no they didn't lol, so long story short i go to get it and they say the total is $260. I understand an estimate is just that.....an estimate but i feel that if the price was going to be almost double they should have called to see if i wanted to do it. So whatever i pay the guy and ask so how did it start up for the first time? He looks at me and says oh yeah your starter just spins its bad or the fly wheel is messed up you can leave it here and we'll look at it when we can. Well it started great all the way up until i winterized w no problems, so finally here's my questions thanks for taking the time to help.

Would you be mad if that was your experience at the shop,

and

Where exactly is and how difficult is it to take the starter off and have it tested? Im no mechanic but know enough to change things like oil, brakes, alternator etc

Here's the info

350 merc (if it makes a difference its a gm v8 block converted to boat)

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starter Problems on 350 merc

Doesn't sound like you got the best treatment. You might want to look for a Merc certified dealer. They usually have at least some type of customer service standards in place. Just FYI things do die and go bad over the winter even though they were just sitting. Boats like to be run. They're not happy just sitting idle. Now on to your starter. Taking it on and off is just 2 bolts and the electrical wires connected to it. (the holes towards the front on either side of the turning gear)

Merc 350 starter.jpg

It is located (facing the front of your engine) on the left side down underneath in back with the back of the starter facing you. That being said, if you have easy access to it, it is very easy. If you don't have easy access than you will need your chiropractor on stand by as you will have to do it by feel and lining up the bolts while you are twisted like a pretzel and upside down can be tricky. You said it was a 350 block converted to a boat motor. I hope the starter and all electrical and fuel parts are all marine parts as one spark can ruin your whole day!

Fire.jpeg

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok sry if this pops up twice idk what happened but thanks for the help and being specific but after they told me i researched starter not engaging and a lot of peoples first response was was the battery fully charged? After the service i got im guessing they didn't put much effort into trying to start it and since it sat for 2 weeks + is it wishful thinking that maybe the battery just needed a full charge? I didn't have a chance to throw the muffs on it today going to tom. thanks for the help!

tpenfield

Staff member

It is usually better to know how to do the mechanical stuff yourself. too many horror stories about boat repair, and it seems like some make it expensive.

So, I would get the boat back and do your own evaluation of the starter.

If you can loosen and then tighten 2 bolts, then you can replace the starter yourself.

Like my friend from Cape Cod said, make sure your components are Marine SAE J1171 compliant . . . it will have that label.

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would love to be able to do it all myself but didn't have the tool to get it out and taking off the manifold made me nervous because of the exhaust as ive never dealt with it before. It will take me twice as long as you guys but im sure i can get the starter off lol, now when i do get it off can i take it to my local o'reillys to have it checked or do i need to go to a marine place?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

you can take it any where for testing. the basic difference between a "marine" starter and a regular one (other than being more rust resistant is that it doesn't expose the engine compartment to sparks potentially causing a fire.

tpenfield

Staff member

I would love to be able to do it all myself but didn't have the tool to get it out and taking off the manifold made me nervous because of the exhaust as ive never dealt with it before. It will take me twice as long as you guys but im sure i can get the starter off lol, now when i do get it off can i take it to my local o'reillys to have it checked or do i need to go to a marine place?

Many folks look at boats as if they are alien spacecrafts or something, I know that I did when I got my first power boat. It is basically a truck engine mated to a marine propulsion system. The 'tool' should be a socket wrench. I would hope that you do not have to remove the exhaust manifold, but every boat have different access restrictions around the engine, etc.

When I removed my first starter from a boat it took me 4 hours, cussing the whole time . . . I finally took the battery out to get better access. The second time around, it took about 15 minutes . . . for things like starters and alternators, if they are giving me trouble, I typically will get a new one. Then, I take out the old one, only to realize it tests out fine, but at least I have a spare. :facepalm:

If you are willing to spend a little extra time upfront, you can master some of the mechanical stuff and be able to save some $$$ and turn things around faster.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

^^^+1 You shouldn't have to remove the manifold in order to reach the starter. Although most boats today have at least reasonable access I have seen engines packed in sooooo tight that the whole engine had to come out just to replace the spark plugs never mind get at the starter.

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so i got a chance to hook up the muffs and give it a try and yes its screwed! So i think i found it but it looks different than the ones i saw. This is (if facing engine) on the left side down at the very bottom and back corner, it has a power cable running to it and is right above a cylinder shaped thing? Does this sound right lol oh and tks for all the great responses!

tpenfield

Staff member

Stick your camera phone down there and take some photos . . . post them on this thread . . . folks tend to give better advise after seeing pictures.

NHGuy

Captain

I know I saw you considering the battery state of charge. Did you make sure it has juice? You can jump it too, but connect the boat clamps first, then the jumping vehicle. That eliminates any jumper sparks from the engine area.
Then if it's still "screwed" disconnect a cable from the battery, disconnect whatever is connected to the starter, then unbolt it. Before you do that take a look at the starter picture up above to be sure to work on the right part.
I can tell you mine was a pain to reach. I had to get a helper to hold it in place while I started the bolts on the replacement unit.
I hope you only need a charge.

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes i charged it up over night so that wasn't the issue, by the picture above do you mean mine i just posted or the one earlier in the thread. If that is it then mine looks like its not gonna be a whole lot of fun either.

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well i guess i don't wanna see hard to get to lol, well our river where we boat is in major flood still so at least i can't take it out right now anyway. Any info on a good starter and how much to expect to pay?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

Any info on a good starter and how much to expect to pay?

remove it and have a reputable mercruiser authorized shop rebuild it for you - that will be the best, cheapest route for you

you have a "peanut" starter, much smaller and easier to remove/install than the old "football" starters

btw - your long block isn't oem mercruiser, red paint usually = volvo, and someone used way too much rtv on the oil pan - it should only be used on the ends of a sbc pan

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tks and idk what color the block was to start with but the guys who built it said they painted it red and that its a gm 350, there is something stamped on it near that starter but i don't remember what it is off hand. All i know is that the motor is a beast it easily over revs a 21p and runs 50-52 gps only being able to run about 85% throttle. And thanks for the idea of having it rebuilt