seahawk II/Mariner 3 vs Mariner 4

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ok, dont shoot me for this. I spoke with RubberBoats.com, the Mariner 3 is the old Seahawk II. I am considering buying one instead of a Mariner 4....Because I have an Excursion 5, its large, stable floors are done, its pretty awesome. I think I'm going to keep that one as the "family boat" I still love it and have a lot of time and money invested into it. However....for just myself its a bit bulky to continue to lug around everytime I want to go out alone, which happens to be 99% of the time. SO.... I'm thinking of getting either the seahawk II/Mariner 3 for my personal trips. I understand that this will involve making an entire floor that I was tring to avoid with the M4, but given the entire boat is smaller and lighter than the M4 I believe I will be keeping it inflated and transporting it on top of my Blazer, with the floor intact. It is made of the same 3ply material (verified by rubber boats). However, no floor or keel. Does the keel and slated floor add as much stability as just making a custom floor? Several reviewers of the M4 have stated they plan to remove the slated and just make a new floor. My excursion does very well with its custom floor over the inflatable floor.

So, my final question....keep the excursion for larger float trips for the family and just get the mariner 3 for just myself OR...go all out and get the mariner 4 which could hold the entire family and get rid of the excursion all together. I have a sevylor hui 400 as a gear raft when going camping. I have a Minn Kota 30# motor with no plans of upgrading....at least for now.

Thanks so much for the support and responses!

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: seahawk II/Mariner 3 vs Mariner 4

OK OK OK....nevermind, forget this entire post, I ordered the Mariner 4. Should be here thursday. I will probably sell my Excursion 5....anyone interested, let me know.