Starting problem

Just bought my first boat this past Friday. Took it to the lake, started right up and ran fine. Batteries died a couple times but I think we might have left hem on too long. Brought it back home and hooked up the water to clean it out and it wouldn't start. Replaced the starter and still nothing not even a click. Tried some jumper cables and still nothing.Don't know where to go from here, any info would be much appreciated. Thank you an have a good day.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starting problem

:welcome: Will need more info to be able to trouble shoot for you. Specifically what type of engine do you (make model year) have and what is the serial number? Just very basic stuff in the mean time... are the battery terminals clean? are the wires from the battery to the starter good? is the starter solenoid good? is the secondary solenoid good? (if so equipped) When you turn your key on does anything electrical on the boat work?

if its a outboard check the fuse near the starter solinoid as low volts from a nearly dead battery equals high amps which pops fuses.

Sorry about that, it is a galaxy starion, 21 ft open bow. It has a 5.7 liter which I think is a Chevy big block. It is a 1987. Yea when I turn the key the CD player turns on but no click in the engine, it makes no noise. I checked the fuses the only ones I could find we're on the dash by the steering wheel. All the fuses tested fine.

It is an omc. So we did that trouble shooting link you posted and we found that power was going to but not out of this device. Also the solenoid had power on the purple leg but not on the yellow/red which was being fed from this device. What is this thing and could it be the problem. Thanks for the help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's called the slave solenoid. And yes, go back over the troubleshooting thread.

its a solinoid which is to used to boost the power to the starter soliniod with out over stressing the ignition key. (its used like a relay). With out the model number to the motor its hard to tell but i think the only thing between the key and that solinoid is the shifter neutral switch so check its not in gear or wiggle the lever with the key turned. Testing the smaller wire on the solinoid with a volt meter would be a good idea but it looks like a pain to get to as its on the other side of the solinoid.

you need to test the small wires attached to it for 12v when the key is turned to start before you replace it.