Shifter install help needed

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
We just changed the water pump on a 1996 Evinrude 70 hp motor
The manual says to install parts in reverse order. HAHA
Does anyone have a diagram of how that shift rod connects to the shift lever under the bottom carb. It came out real easy, but we just gave up for the night after fighting with it for over an hour.

Please I need pictures or a diagram or a real good description of how to re connect that thing

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shifter install help needed

You could try shop.evinrude.com for parts diagrams. All you had to do was to pull the the C clip on the starboard side of the shift linkage and slide it over to disengage the linkage. Did you do do that ??

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

You could try shop.evinrude.com for parts diagrams. All you had to do was to pull the the C clip on the starboard side of the shift linkage and slide it over to disengage the linkage. Did you do do that ??

On ours there is a small ss hitch pin we had to remove and then push the shift lever in and tilt it forward which instantly released the shift link on the lower unit, the manual said to remember the way it came out and reverse the proceedure putting it all back, we tried, and we tried and since I have no idea how it all links together under that bottom carb and we cannot see anything there it is baffeling which is why if I had a diagram of just that connection and could see how it links together, that would help.
This must be a simple thing, after all, there is thousands and thousands of these motors out there.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I just reinstalled my lower unit this evening. I fretted about this very thing until I actually did the job. The whole link pin thing is pretty confusing until you realize that the pin actually engages the shift rod when it is PULLED OUT. I used an automotive little mirror with a telescoping rod to get a good look at the link pin and how it works. After seeing how it is set up, it was cake after that.

Get yourself a long pair of needle nose pliers to turn the shift rod slightly and align with the shift rod linkage. If you tilt up your motor, you can see the shift rod coming up through the midsection. I used my needle nosed pliers to slightly turn the shift rod from this point. Once everything aligns up, it will slip right into place. Again, not hard once you get a good look at it.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

I just reinstalled my lower unit this evening. I fretted about this very thing until I actually did the job. The whole link pin thing is pretty confusing until you realize that the pin actually engages the shift rod when it is PULLED OUT. I used an automotive little mirror with a telescoping rod to get a good look at the link pin and how it works. After seeing how it is set up, it was cake after that.

Get yourself a long pair of needle nose pliers to turn the shift rod slightly and align with the shift rod linkage. If you tilt up your motor, you can see the shift rod coming up through the midsection. I used my needle nosed pliers to slightly turn the shift rod from this point. Once everything aligns up, it will slip right into place. Again, not hard once you get a good look at it.

Did as you described and it worked perfectly, took a few minutes to make the connection the trick was the needle nose to turn that shifter rod, Thank you very much for the tip

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

You are welcome Bill. I am glad it worked out.