Trolling Motor/Deep Cycle/Cranking Battery Issue

Petey742

Cadet
I have a '96 Pro Craft V150B. My trolling motor completely stopped working the other day while out fishing. Using the multimeter I found voltage at the battery connections but not at the plug where the trolling motor plugs in. The trolling motor is wired to the battery and that's the only thing that's connected to that battery. There is a tube looking fuse (I don't know anything about electrical stuff) wired into the positive wire. It's a 32v fuse, the manual I found online says it should be a 50v fuse. I figure (optimistically) I can buy a new 50v fuse and that should fix the problem. I have 2 batteries on the boat. With everything except the trolling motor being ran off the other battery, should that battery be a deep cycle as well or should I actually have a 3rd battery for cranking the outboard? Any help you can give will be appreciated and please remember I don't know the terminology associated with electrical stuff.

Re: Trolling Motor/Deep Cycle/Cranking Battery Issue

The engine battery should be a dual starting/trolling battery but i wouldnt be to bothered about what type it is.
If the fuse popped then the voltage is neither here nor there as thats just the max it should be use at. you need to find the amp rating as thats the important one then either carry a spare for when you get stuck in weeds or upgrade to a breaker which is a better option.

NYBo

Admiral

To clarify: You need a 50 AMP fuse, not a 50 VOLT fuse.

For the battery that powers everything else, use the largest one that fits the available space. A dual-purpose battery would be a good choice.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Is your TM a 12V or a 24V motor?

Petey742

Cadet

What exactly is a dual purpose battery? The only two I know of is cranking or deep cycle. Is a dual purpose both cranking and deep cycle?