Alpha 1 Gen 2 U Joint

RSVRMAN

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm considering taking apart the upper housing of my Alpha for grease. After watching the video it appears there were no zerks for grease. Are there grease zerks on the Ujoints on these drives or are they sealed and don't require grease.

Installing Mercruiser Alpha drive - YouTube

Thank you for your time.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Alpha 1 Gen 2 U Joint

My a1g2 had no zerks on the ujoints.

There is this note in service manual 14:
NOTE: The U-joint has been changed to a Perm-A-Lube U-joint assembly following the
serial number 0D899000. The serial numbers prior to 0D899000 do not use the
Perm-A-Lube U-joint

Mark

RSVRMAN

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My a1g2 had no zerks on the ujoints.

There is this note in service manual 14:
NOTE: The U-joint has been changed to a Perm-A-Lube U-joint assembly following the
serial number 0D899000. The serial numbers prior to 0D899000 do not use the
Perm-A-Lube U-joint

Mark

Thanks again Mark. I found the Drive seal # is 0F521760 and Transom Serial is 0F572674. I guess I wont have to pull it off and grease!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No need to pull the drive for that purpose but still good maintenance practice to pull the drive to inspect the ujoint bellows and the gimbal bearing; check engine alignment.

With the drive off you can clean out any old grease from the bellows and pump in some new gimbal bearing grease and watch it push out any old grease/moisture.

Mark

Soder99

Cadet

I've attached pictures of my U-joints. They are the aforementioned permalube.

As you can see I had water in my bellows so it's always a good idea to pull the outdrive off the bell housing and take a look. My bellows looked great, but I believe the water got in there from a storm I was in last year that filled my bilge up above the bottom of my engine.

Pulling the drive taking a look, greasing it up and putting it back on with new gasket and O-rings (Sierra part # 18-2619...about $10) took me about 45 minutes. My wife even volunteered to help so we could spend some quality time together!

Have fun!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 8

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've attached pictures of my U-joints. They are the aforementioned permalube.

As you can see I had water in my bellows so it's always a good idea to pull the outdrive off the bell housing and take a look. My bellows looked great, but I believe the water got in there from a storm I was in last year that filled my bilge up above the bottom of my engine.

Pulling the drive taking a look, greasing it up and putting it back on with new gasket and O-rings (Sierra part # 18-2619...about $10) took me about 45 minutes. My wife even volunteered to help so we could spend some quality time together!

Have fun!

I also see you have plugs where the zerks should be, take them out and grease those babies, they will thank you with a far longer life

Soder99

Cadet

I also see you have plugs where the zerks should be, take them out and grease those babies, they will thank you with a far longer life

Any suggestions on how to pull the plugs? As you can see they are practically flush with the u-joint body.
Thanks.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any suggestions on how to pull the plugs? As you can see they are practically flush with the u-joint body.
Thanks.
5/16 or 7 mm box end wrench, these are threaded plugs, one of these 2 sizes,