New to me and what to do ? 98 3.0

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class
98 MERCRUSIER 3.0 LITER ON A BAYLINER CAPRIS.
Bought the boat late last fall and took it out 10 times. On the 9th rally I noticed green hydraulic fluid coming out of the left side lower weep holes ( stern looking to bow) when I lowered the motor for Inspection ( Colorado water mollusk mandatory Insp.).
I pulled the boat back into the lot and cleaned it up and raised and lowered the motor several times and it did not come out again.
I also checked the reservoir and it was full. Decided to go boating anyway and then made another trip, before old man winter set in,
with nothing coming out since the inspection episode.
Like a dumbazz I did not winterize the boat as life got in the way. However I did have it stored in our garage with the engine facing the house wall so it stays fairly warm all winter.
Anyhoo first of all the leaking incident ??? and second ; anyone have a good write up on replacing everything ?
Seals and all? Mechanically inclined to the point I've rebuilt car engines more than once..........
Thanks for any and all input and yes u can call me a dumbazz for not winterizing :)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New to me and what to do ? 98 3.0

98 MERCRUSIER 3.0 LITER ON A BAYLINER CAPRIS.
Bought the boat late last fall and took it out 10 times. On the 9th rally I noticed green hydraulic fluid coming out of the left side lower weep holes ( stern looking to bow) when I lowered the motor for Inspection ( Colorado water mollusk mandatory Insp.).
I pulled the boat back into the lot and cleaned it up and raised and lowered the motor several times and it did not come out again.
I also checked the reservoir and it was full. Decided to go boating anyway and then made another trip, before old man winter set in,
with nothing coming out since the inspection episode.
Like a dumbazz I did not winterize the boat as life got in the way. However I did have it stored in our garage with the engine facing the house wall so it stays fairly warm all winter.
Anyhoo first of all the leaking incident ??? and second ; anyone have a good write up on replacing everything ?
Seals and all? Mechanically inclined to the point I've rebuilt car engines more than once..........
Thanks for any and all input and yes u can call me a dumbazz for not winterizing :)

Ayuh,.... Up in the Adults Only section,....
Read the "how to Winterize" to see what ya Shoulda done,...
'n "How to Summerize" to see what else needs doin'....

You'll also find a "How to test yer drive for leaks" up there....

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, yes I have read all of that but am looking more for a full tear down and rebuild including all seals etc......
worth doing ? not ???
Plan on keeping the boat for the long haul!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You will not get anyone to write here what is already documented with pictures in the service manual for your engine/outdrive. As for the worth of a full tear down and re-seal job, if the drive is leaking (in-or out) it is not a "worth it" question -- it is a requirement. But depending on WHAT is leaking determines WHAT must be replaced. Hence the "Testing Your Drive" reference. It is the outdrive that is leaking, not the boat or the engine. Knowing what outdrive you have and its age would be of help -- yes?

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok will get on it and post......alpha one drive 98.
Id rather just replace everything like I would any other used engine and in this case "engine/outdrive".
plugs, fluids, seals and prop.
most people don't and that's why these forums are filled with " my **** broke" :)