Mercruiser serial number frustration!

dogfish1

Cadet
I just need to vent. I am trying to do some basic maintenance on my boat, like an oil filter change. the serial number is not readable on the spark arrest cover, I have been told there is another near the starter, however this location is damn near inaccessable. why doesn't Mercury stamp these numbers in a location that is more accessable? I can't order anything without this number, it isn't located in the owners manual.
The boat is a 2003. I can easily read the out drive and transom plate serial numbers. I would have thought those would have been hard to keep legible. This is such a basic item WTF? :mad:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser serial number frustration!

most motors are GM based, autoparts work there aside from the electrical ones

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Stick a digital camera down in the starter area and snap some pictures.

MC SN Location.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

I just need to vent. I am trying to do some basic maintenance on my boat, like an oil filter change. the serial number is not readable on the spark arrest cover, I have been told there is another near the starter, however this location is damn near inaccessable. why doesn't Mercury stamp these numbers in a location that is more accessable? I can't order anything without this number, it isn't located in the owners manual.
The boat is a 2003. I can easily read the out drive and transom plate serial numbers. I would have thought those would have been hard to keep legible. This is such a basic item WTF? :mad:

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard, 'n the role of playin' a Mechanic,....

Nothin' is Ever easy to access, yer Lucky if ya can see it, or maybe touch whatever yer tryin' to do...