Is an older 5.7l block the same as a 1989

Hi there I'm from the uk and Used v8 blocks are rare over here , I need a used but re buildable block for my 1989 searay
With 5.7 engine , I want a used block from a car or a truck as I don't want one that's been near any salt water , that's what killed the one I've got , i dont want to chance spending money on my old block that i know is very thin now, I've also got the chance to buy some brand new vortec heads at a good price so I would like to build a nice engine , I've had engines re bored and I've changed pistons and fully rebuilt a few engines in my time so know what im in for , my questions are as follows

1) could I use a older block? the type that came with the heads that bolted round the outside of the rocker cover ? I won't keep the heads
2) am I right in assuming that as long as it has a one piece rear seal it will be the same bare casting or as close as I need.
I know some have 4 bolt mains
3) could I use the vortex heads that i can get hold of quite cheaply ?
4) if I could use the vortex heads would I need different pistons ?
5) could I re use the rest of my internals ie crank and rods

I don't want buy. A new engine as there a lot of money over her and to have one imported from the USA costs loand in shipping and import tax

Thanks

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is an older 5.7l block the same as a 1989

One piece rear main seals were implemented mid year of 1986. Vortec heads are best used on post '86 blocks as most of those blocks will be roller provisioned, giving you the option of using a roller cam and lifters to complement your Vortec heads.

You would use the standard 4 valve relief cast aluminum dished pistons that came in factory Vortecs. No need for anything fancy. You are building a relatively low compression engine after all.

Crank and rods are the same. Make sure you get the rotating assembly balanced and deck the block. Watch your quench numbers. Also, make sure that your donor block has a mechanical fuel pump provision, unless you want to run an electric fuel pump.

Good luck!

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Keep in mind you will need a Vortec intake to match the heads..........

Thanks for the replys guys
If the bock has got a one piece rear seal does that mean that it will NOT always l have the provision for the roller cam ? If so what do I have to look for to see if it will take a roller cam? Or in other words what does the "provision for roller cam look like ?
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the replys guys
If the bock has got a one piece rear seal does that mean that it will NOT always l have the provision for the roller cam ? If so what do I have to look for to see if it will take a roller cam? Or in other words what does the "provision for roller cam look like ?
Thanks

Ayuh,.... There'll be bosses cast into the lifter valley for boltin' in the lifter retainer spider to the block...

If they're drilled, 'n tapped, it's roller cam ready....