1999 150 Ficht fires but dies model E150FPXEEN

charris

Cadet
Was running fine last fall, treated the fuel, fogged each cylinder. Went to start now and it fires up ok but only runs for a second or two and then dies. It is so close to running, but just will not stay. Tested fuel pressure at test port and have 20 psi which meets spec. Plugs are new, gapped and indexed, they are getting wet with fuel. Crank position sensor correctly gap. No check engine light showing, all fuses checked good. HP fuel pump runs for the spec 10 seconds and turns off unless cranked. Fuel is being delivered so lift pump appears ok. Boat and engine fuel filters replaced, new gas. So far no joy. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!:joyous:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 150 Ficht fires but dies model E150FPXEEN

Does it die when you let off key when cranking?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a no spark condition.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe look into your kill switch stuff, keyed lanyard, neutral start switch

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had one of these once. just about pulled my hair out. first thing, is it fuel/air or spark, the first thing to do is remove the air box, put some gas in a spray bottle, when you get it running spray (A mist of gas) at the intakes, and see if it stays running.

charris

Cadet

Turns out the problem is related to spark plugs. This is a 99 Ficht 150, with pinned heads. I have installed 2 sets of the NGK plugs and it will not run, cranks and fires but will not continue idling. Go back to the Champion 7712 (which are for the unpinned heads) and it runs just fine. Have gapped both the Champion and NGK the same, .030". I do see that the nose on the Champion electrode is quite a bit longer than the NGK, so the spark must occur closer to the piston. Should I just forget about it and go with the plugs that work, even though they are not the ones listed for this engine (with pinned heads). I have not tried the Champion equivalent for the pinned heads but I'm guessing if it won't run on the NGK it won't run on the Champion either.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

with pinned heads use only champion XC12PEPB , i had a 150 ficht ram and did not believed this engine is such sensitive to plugs until i found out on my engine .

indexing and gapping is also very important !

narvlebenoit

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was always told johnson motors run best on champion spark plugs.