exhaust conversion questions

jonesy1186

Cadet
Time for new exhaust manifolds. 77 Carver with the 351 mercruiser, log style manifolds. Seeing conversion packages from some of the suppliers to newer center elbow types. Any advantage to making the switch? it's actually cheaper to make the switch which makes me wonder..

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: exhaust conversion questions

What is the serial number of your motor? Thats really the only way we can tell what motor you have and what your options are.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

351 is a Ford engine. The centre riser manifold were only produced for GM engines. Post a link to the conversions...

Chris.....

jonesy1186

Cadet

My bad, Go2Marine has a conversion kit but its for the OMC 302/351. Don't have the serial numbers handy since the motor is at the shop getting new crank and bearings. i guess water and oil don't mix well. probably just stick with new log style manifolds and elbows. Thanks for the input guys.

haulnazz15

Captain

351 is a Ford engine. The centre riser manifold were only produced for GM engines. Post a link to the conversions...

Chris.....

Not true. I have the Merc 233 and bought my exhaust conversion package from ebasicpower.com. It comes with 99% of everything you'll need: manifolds, 90-degree elbows, rubber exhaust tube (you cut to size), bolts, thermostat & housings, coolant lines, etc. It was roughly the same price as the new log manifolds and elbows where, but obviously the kit comes with more than just the manifolds/elbows. Kit is manufactured by Osco. Seen below:

Edit: Here's the link: http://www.ebasicpower.com/pc/BPIMANMERFRDI-B/MER9E-IB

IMG_0402.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Maybe I should have said Mercruiser only made centre rise manifolds for GM engines. I have no idea what the aftermarket market did because Merc stopped using Ford engine is 1977 and in Australia they have mostly gone now and I don't think I've worked on a Ford engine Mercruiser since about 1998....

jonesy1186

Cadet

So haulnazz15, what made you convert, I'd like to get the pros and cons to the swap...

haulnazz15

Captain

What made me convert was the fact that I had my original 1976 engine get water in it somehow, and I wasn't about to re-use 1976 manifolds (which had tons of rust/soot in them) when I was installing all new engine/components from the transom-forward. The center-riser manifolds supposedly flow a bit better, but I don't know that it makes much difference at the 230-280HP range in my case. It does open up some accessibility at the rear of the engine for maintenance, so that's nice, but it didn't really offer much of any other physical advantage. However, when you price the elbows/manifolds, they are generally much cheaper than the log-style, so when/if it comes time to replace those components again, it saves you money later on. On a somewhat less-important note, the conversion removes a few more hoses from the system (the ones to the elbows), so you have a slightly lower risk of a leak or blockage in one of the hoses than with the log-style.