Need Safe Distance

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can someone chime in as to what is considered a safe distance that the front of my bow is to the back of my son's Expedition. I am in the process of moving my boat further forward on my trailer to give me more tongue weight.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need Safe Distance

If it doesn't touch the expedition, you're good to go.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Hard to imagine you could get too close.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if it gets under 6" you will need to pay CLOSE attention on uneven ground.....over a foot you're gtg short of running the Baha 1000 course.

We once put a bow pulpit through the back window of a suburban towing a 28'er through a small drainage ditch in my buddy's back yard heading to the 'engine pullin tree'..... He had towed a couple thousand miles on flat ground with no issue.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I have an Expedition too. The first time I adjusted my trailer to make it fit in the garage easier I couldn't open the lift gate in back. That sucked. I moved it back the extra couple inches an it's worth it for the convenience.

UncleWillie

Captain

I have an Expedition too. The first time I adjusted my trailer to make it fit in the garage easier I couldn't open the lift gate in back. That sucked. I moved it back the extra couple inches an it's worth it for the convenience.

That is the key dimension!;)
If you cant open the hatch; you're too close.
As long as none of the boat is in front of the ball, it won't hit anything in a sharp turn either. :joyous:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

it's when the front tires of the tow rig go up a steep driveway and the rear ones drop down before going up into a gas station that you could find trouble

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am a newbie at this trailer stuff so listen to others first. I consider the minimum safe distance to be that a 90 degree jack knife can't touch the tow vehicle. I know I am never going to turn a corner that is going to require more than that.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't move the boat, move the axle. The boat must be positioned with support under the transom or hull damage may result.

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't move the boat, move the axle. The boat must be positioned with support under the transom or hull damage may result.

Right now my bunks are about 1 foot past my transom.

saumon

Lieutenant

Right now my bunks are about 1 foot past my transom.

What JB said. Ends of the bunk should be flush with the transom so move the boat and winch post back, then the axle too until you got proper tongue weight.

That is true unless you have a trailer that is unappropriate (too long) for your boat, which happen more often than not.

UncleWillie

Captain

I am a newbie at this trailer stuff so listen to others first. I consider the minimum safe distance to be that a 90 degree jack knife can't touch the tow vehicle. I know I am never going to turn a corner that is going to require more than that.

A HORIZONTAL Jack Knife where a rear fender gets crushed is one concern.

As other have stated; the other concern is VERTICAL Jackknife where the roof is crushed or the bow goes through the back window.

it's when the front tires of the tow rig go up a steep driveway and the rear ones drop down before going up into a gas station that you could find trouble

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

^^^+1 As stated above the transom should be flush with the back of the bunks. Once you have got that done move the axles towards the rear of the trailer to add tongue weight and towards the front of the trailer to decrease tongue weight.

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As long as none of the boat is in front of the ball, it won't hit anything in a sharp turn either. :joyous:

Unless you have a pontoon boat, classic Whaler, Carolina Skiff, John boat, catamaran, or something else with an almost square front. :)

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is the key dimension!;)
If you cant open the hatch; you're too close.

Keep an eye on the winch handle its not on center and will hit in a turn if too close.