Battery cables smoking !!

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class
After charging batteries, knowing 90 hp mariner 1979, has always been a hard to crank motor. But while trying to start first time, this yr, I noticed smoke coming from cables. I'm guessing just old maybe oxidized. Any suggestions on how to fix or replace without buying a whole new harness?

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Battery cables smoking !!

It sounds like the starter is drawing an excessive amount of current. i doubt the battery cables are bad. Just make sure all your connections are clean and tight. If you pull all the spark plugs and you can turn the engine over easily by hand then that's OK which would leave the starter as the problem.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Poor connections create heat, melting plastics and can start a fire.

Clean all connections, both ends, same for the starter cable, and clean the grounding spot on the block for both the battery ground and the starter, reinstall tightly. 'Wing' nuts on the battery should be thrown overboard, use stainless steel nuts and a wrench.

If you are able, take the starter apart, lightly sand the commutator clean, check that the brushes move freely and are still long enough, not worn down excessively. Very lightly lube the starter bushings, do NOT lube the threaded portion of the drive, you want that clean and dry. If you insist on any form of lube here use a dry film like graphite lock-ease, or possibly one of the dry slide silicone sprays.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I had some water in gas also, took starter apart all looks good, it must be wires caused battery is reading 12.83, after recharging batteries and fresh fuel. Engine is running good, it's just always hard to crank with a few miner set backs each year.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The battery cables can rot out under the insulation. Give the cables a good feel-up and see if the wiring is solid and there are no bulges. My cables rotted out under the insulation, until only a few strands remained attached.

smittylv1

Seaman Apprentice

Copper is a great conductor, however it's internal resistance will increase with age. Replace the cables.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

SURFACE corrosion will increase resistance, internally there is no change until heated to the melting point.

Many cables corrode under the insulation at the battery end, when they do either cut off the insulation, clean the wire and re-insulate, far quicker and easier to replace the cable.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Any time any cable or wire smokes it have exceeded its current carrying capability. Whether that is because of corrosion or some other condition, it isn't safe. A starter does draw an enormous amount of current, especially when there are problems. So you do need to fix the problem and then I would replace the cable(s) just to be on the safe side...

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

Any time any cable or wire smokes it have exceeded its current carrying capability. Whether that is because of corrosion or some other condition, it isn't safe. A starter does draw an enormous amount of current, especially when there are problems. So you do need to fix the problem and then I would replace the cable(s) just to be on the safe side...
That's good advice. If the plastic melted it could be thin in spots and not provide adequate insulation. Also when I said the battery cables probably weren't bad, I was making the assumption that the cables are cleaned and checked annually because that is what I do, and that may not be the case.
If you found no other problem other than the bad gas, then you are cranking the engine far too long. heat buildup in the starter windings can damage the insulation ruining the starter.

smittylv1

Seaman Apprentice

Dave,

How?...by overheating, possibly many times over the 34 years.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Correct starting procedure will fix your excessive cranking problem.My V6 took 10-15 min to start cold before my fat head learnt the correct way.