1987 70 HP Johson surging pass idle

cold_gin

Cadet
Hello all, I just purchased a pontoon with a 87 70hp johnson outboard. This was suppose to be a good running boat, ran fine on the muffs, but the first run out it couldnt get above idle without surging and if you try to go wot, it died. I did some research on past threads and rebuilt the carbs. (they were in good shape, really clean, one of the floats was mis adjusted other than that found no debris and made sure the jets were really clean.)

The compression is over a 100 on all 3 cyl and no leaks in tank and put in new gas. The VRO is not connected.

Put in new spark plugs and took it back out after the rebuild, it seems to do better but still surges. Runs great at idle, but start to the throttle and it will surge, get past a little bit of throttle and it will bog. Pushing the choke or squeeezing the bulb does nothing. At full throttle now it will run but no power and low rpms.

It has moments where it tries to pick up rpm, but it either does the surge thing or bog thing. A couple times it has flooded out and had to wait a while before it would start again.:confused:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1987 70 HP Johson surging pass idle

Check all cylinders are sparking well
Check priming the bulb that it holds tight for a few minutes while engine is off

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Will the spark jump a 7/16 " open air gap on a spark tester ?? What's the compression on it ??

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

look up syncing carbs to timing.

cold_gin

Cadet

The bulb does hold pressure, also after running the boat for a couple hours today I pulled the plugs and noticed one was pretty black with some carbon buildup. I didnt mark the plug so i dont know which cyl this came out of.:facepalm:. I going to purchase a spark tester so now im thinking that one of the coils is failing. Will update when i get it tested.

Thanks for the replies!!!!

cold_gin

Cadet

update, found a bad ignition coil, about every 5 seconds at idle the spark would completely stop for a sec and then restart. I replaced the coil and its sparking like a champ now. Gonna put it back in the water to get it under a load. fingers crossed.

revsigns

Cadet

Any update? I am having the same exact issues and am about to replace the coils.