Buying a boat

paboater

Seaman
Ok guys I need some advice. I am looking to buy a used boat anywhere from 19 to 21 foot. This boat will be used for skiing, tubing, fishing. Mostly Fresh water but would not mind taking it to the bay for some fishing. I live in Eastern Pa. and am wondering if anyone knows any goods places in Pa. to buy a boat or any good websites that sell them also, I am not looking to spend over $7500 so any recommendations on a good boat in that price range would be greatly appreciated.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Buying a boat

Check out Boat trader online.Find your reigon and you should have lots to choose from.Buy private to save money if know what to look for as far as problems go.Dealers are alot more money,But chances are they have inspected the boat.<br /><br /> Good luck<br /> Jim

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I'm also in Eastern Pa. In my opinion you'll get the best used boat deals in areas that are away from large cities and near navigatable waters. I prefer northern Maryland, but I'd guess some of the towns along the Delaware below Philly would qualify. Keep in mind a broker typically takes a 10% comission, so a private sale could be more cost effective.<br /> Area newspapers might have what you're looking for. Here's a couple good Chesapeake papers that have classifieds: www.noreastermagazine.com<br />www.themariner.net<br /><br />The only local dealer where I live is Clews and Strawbridge (Frazer, Pa.) but, oddly enough, I've never bought from them. I have friends that have and had no problems.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Check out the boating classifieds at the top of this page.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

paboater,<br /><br />This is a rough area to get a GOOD used boat. IMHO your best chance is on ablboats. Clews and Strawbridge can be kind of pricey for new boats. I don't know how they are for used boats. You can also try Avanti Brokerage on RT 73 in Palmyra, NJ or Clarks Marina in Delran, NJ. Good luck.