i need major help(not psychiatric :))) ) with a 1988 e110tlcca pls pls

adrian78

Cadet
ok this is my story so u can understand what exactly happen:

i had a ranger vip witha 90 hp that got stolen ,i bought a motor for spares a 110 evinrude , i took different things from it like the carbs , bolts , small stuff. after that boat got stolen in 2011 i bought another one with a 100 hp evinrude 100999s a 1979 which ran ok till a month ago when it threw a rod and apparently they dont work anymore if the do that! so in my wisdom i thought will be better if i take the electrical and the carbs from the 100 hp with the magnito and the stater and all the wires and transfer it to the 110 , i did all that I DO HAVE SPARK on all for (really bright) so i think i did ok by transferring the electrical stuff , i put back the carburetors and the part that has four chambers with things in it that have some kind a blades round at the tip on them, i hook it up to my fuel tank and i hot-wired it to start . it turns but doesnt start , i sprayed gas mix in the cylinders from where the spark[lugs go and tried again , i wanted to start but didnt turn over and it back fired, i took some starting fluid and sprayed into the carbs and same symptom , i do get alotta exhaust fumes and it back fires.

i do not have the lower unit attached yet . do you guys think by backfiring with no lower unit can damage anything?

hw do u exactly use the timing gun , what do u listen ot look for , the withe mark that is on my fly whell is at 28 , what is the timming for a 110hp 1988 evinrude e110tlcca .thx so much

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: i need major help(not psychiatric :))) ) with a 1988 e110tlcca pls pls

Hook the two timing gun wires to the battery terminals. Put the sensor unit on cyl one and then turn the starter on the motor , see where the flash mark lines up with the timing written on the flywheel. Easier to do in the dark
Did you compare the flywheels to see if they are the same? Flywheel magnets in the same place?
Backfiring isnt good for the engine, it can indicate timing is way out

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
Re: i need major help(not psychiatric :))) ) with a 1988 e110tlcca pls pls

Hook the two timing gun wires to the battery terminals. Put the sensor unit on cyl one and then turn the starter on the motor , see where the flash mark lines up with the timing written on the flywheel. Easier to do in the dark
Did you compare the flywheels to see if they are the same? Flywheel magnets in the same place?
Backfiring isnt good for the engine, it can indicate timing is way out

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not familiar with theses models, but if you have a mismatch between the spark timing, and the position of the pistons when the plugs fire, it could cause this. The wrong flywheel for that crank would do it.