Is 40hp enough on 16ft Hewescraft

speed_demon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1994 16ft Hewescraft Sea Runner which is supposed to weigh 900lbs empty. I plan to use it on the Kenai River so I can only run 50hp max. I already have a spare 2007 40-hp Honda 4-stroke and I'm curious if it will be enough or if I should start looking for a 50. Maybe something like an etec that probably has more grunt than your typical 4-stroke. A friend has an older 16ft river runner with a 40hp Tahatsu and it would still plane with up to about 1500lbs of people, fuel, fish, and gear.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Is 40hp enough on 16ft Hewescraft

Hi demon. While the 40hp may not help you live up to your name, it should move you along nicely even with a decent load. I would think you could hit low-mid 30's with a good set up. Of course, a lot of it will depend on the weight distribution, and the motor's height/trim/tilt and prop, but a 40hp on a 16' is a classic combo that should get you where you want to go.

speed_demon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. The main thing I was worried about is dipnetting because we commonly catch 100+ fish weighing around 8lbs each plus 3-4 190lb men. Last year at 90 we had to start cleaning fish because the boat wouldn't get on step! Honda's 40 and 50 are identical except carbs so I'm told it should run like a 50 except at the very top. Then again Yamaha's 50 is bigger and the same as the 60. I'm kicking myself now because I just sold my Yamaha 50 to a friend at a great price. With the right prop I would like the boat to do about 32mph but as long as it planes with a fish load and otherwise cruises at 25mph+ I'm happy.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Go for a wot spin normally loaded, check with tach your max rpm at wot, check if inside min, max rpm parameters factory stated for that horse, select a less pitch prop if rpm's are bit low. Ideal a prop pitch that achieves at least middle rpm, will have good hole shot and good speed at wot.

Happy Boating

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hewescraft doesn't make that in a 16 anymore (18min) but all the newer ones have a pretty good deep V to them and ride great. Since you already have the 40, bolt it on and try it! Obviously, the extra 10 hp would be nice but it will plane, no problem. I agree with Sea Rider about matching the prop to use. Took a few tries on my boat but made all the difference in the world.
If the 16 rides anything like the 18, you will like that boat.

speed_demon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just found a small paddle wheel on the back next to the transducer. Obviously the previous owner installed a secondary paddle wheel power plant. I should have plenty of power. I just can't figure out how to turn the darn thing on.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just found a small paddle wheel on the back next to the transducer. Obviously the previous owner installed a secondary paddle wheel power plant. I should have plenty of power. I just can't figure out how to turn the darn thing on.
Not many replies make me LOL but this one did. Thanks.
Once powered up, that will make an excellent skinny water assist, no doubt about it.