Fires But Won't Run

jaylowe

Recruit
2005 5.0 GL-E. Just replaced engine oil, fuel filter, and lower drive oil. Started up and ran it on the lake for 15 minutes and did great. Stopped and restarted a couple of times fine. Put it on the boat lift, came back 4 hours later and it would start and run for about 1-2 seconds then die. Tried moving the throttle when it would start but no change. Thought maybe flooded so let it sit overnight and tried this morning with same results. It has never flooded and had this problem before. Suggestions on troubleshooting? I did look at the carb choke plate this morning before trying to start the engine and it was closed but figure a cold engine.

thank you.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fires But Won't Run

You'll need someone to crank it for you while you watch inside the carb to see if fuel is actually getting inside the carb. If not, you can trace back the problem through the float bowl, filter, fuel pump, water separator, and tank pickup screen.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You'll need someone to crank it for you while you watch inside the carb to see if fuel is actually getting inside the carb. If not, you can trace back the problem through the float bowl, filter, fuel pump, water separator, and tank pickup screen.
I would be very careful doing that. I saw someone;s eye brows get singed pretty good when an engine back fired through the carb.

Without cranking the engine, operate the throttle a many times and see if any fuel squirts form the accelerator pump. That will tell you if there is fuel in the float bowl. The reason you need to do that many times is that there is still some fuel in the accelerator pump section even with the float bowl empty. After a couple times of pumping, it will be sucking fuel from the float bowl.

If there is no fuel, check to see that your fuel pump is operating. If there is fuel, need to check ignition system including your man overboard lanyard switch. I would say its a fuel issue since it sounds like it wants to start for a few seconds form some fuel that is still in the carb.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

2005 5.0 GL-E. came back 4 hours later and it would start and run for about 1-2 seconds then die. .

Are you sure about that 1-2 seconds? Or is it closer to 10 or 15?
Or could it be it dies when you let off the key from the crank position?

One could be fuel pump the other ignition is why I ask.

redone76

Cadet

I had the same issue with my boat and it turned out the stupid lanyard kill switch was not engaged correctly. Id check that first

jaylowe

Recruit

I had the same issue with my boat and it turned out the stupid lanyard kill switch was not engaged correctly. Id check that first

You got me thinking about that lanyard kill switch.

Lanyard was attached but not fully engaged on the switch! Pushed the lanyard all the way on and she runs!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice and assistance!