selectric shift

fireman57

Captain
Need to know what year 70hp Johnson was selectric shift. Can't seem to find it online and don't want to wear out microfish on it.
Thought one of you guys might know off hand

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: selectric shift

A 70hp Johnson/Evinrude with a Selectric shift lower unit does not exist.

The Selectric shift models were 40, 75, 90, 100hp models.

What's the model number of the engine?

fireman57

Captain

Working on getting the model number. The guy said it has a 70 triumph cover on it. Should be able to get model number in the am. Joe, I knew that you would come through. Thanks buddy and I should have the model # in the am and check it out.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Evinrude used the Triumph name for the 3-cylinder looper motors from the 1968 55 horse through the 1974 70 horse. Those motors existed the first 2 years as 55 horses, the next 2 years (1970-71) as 60 horses, the next 2 years (72-73) as 65 horses. 1974 was the last year Evinrude used names for each their motors. 1974 also happened to be the year they took the triple up to 70 horses, so a Triumph 70 could only be a 1974 model (or perhaps it is a 74 cowl on an older or newer triple). Model numbers would be helpful here.
The shift mechanism changed from the Hydro-electric shift to Power Pilot control with hydraulically assisted mechanical shift on the 1973 models; similarly the self-contained, motor mounted tilt pin steering was introduced that same year (on the long 20" shaft only) replacing the Teleflex steering that needed to be anchored on the transom.

fireman57

Captain

Awesome TN. I did get the model number and it is 70473M. Don't know how to tell that it is a '74 model but it is. I like the way you narrowed it down. I'm trying to help my brother out and he is two hours away. If it was a selectric shift I would have him bring it down here to me but if it is the regular manual shift then he can handle the water pump job. Never heard of a a hydraulically assisted mechanical shift. I'm strictly backyard but have worked on a lot of OMC stuff. How exactly does it work for future knowledge.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

70473M... the 1st two digits are the horsepower, the 3rd digit is the year.

The 1974 70hp Evinrude/Johnson is not a selectric model... not electric in any fashion pertaining to the lower unit.

The lower unit it a "Shift Assist" unit. It does have a oil pump that delivers hydraulic pressure to a plunger unit that exists where the electric shift solenoids are located in the 1968 to 1972 models. When you move the shift lever, that causes the plungers to move slightly, allowing oil pressure to help in shifting.

fireman57

Captain

Joe, once again thanks for the info. This forum is still the best, most knowlegable, and most courteous. I haven't looked at any diagrams yet for this model but wondering if the plunger units are still available or if it could be converted to the regular mechanical shift if need be. Seems a one year design change and use would be hard to find parts for. Engine runs like a champ and was bought for a song. I think the song was "Up the Lazy River".