Engine Trouble Code 119 and a couple of others.

boatmanbilly

Recruit
Have a 2003 SeaRay SunDeck 240 with a 5.0 L MPI, cool fuel 2, and bravo 3 outdrive.
The smartcraft alarm keeps going off "engine alarm". Checked the codes and got these:

119 Stear ckt low (Active code) - have no idea what this is.

130 Trim ckt voltage high. (Active Code). Thinking this is the drive mounted sending units (never been changed - gauge inoperative)

151 Fuel pump ckt (old code) - One day last week the fuel pump came on with the key on - engine off as normal to prime but the pump would not shut off. Turned off the key and it has not happened since. Thinking of replacing the fuel pump relay.

152 IAC output (old code) plan to clear this code and see if it comes back. If so replace the IAC?

Love this site and read all the time. This is my first post - hope someone can help!!
Thanks...

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Engine Trouble Code 119 and a couple of others.

Hello and welcome to iBoats....

The 2 active codes you have can be ignored. The 119 code, steering ckt, is for when there is a steering position feedback sensor, which you appear not to have. Same with the trim ckt.

The fuel pump and IAC codes are more of a concern. I would suspect these are the source of your 'engine alarm'... Clear the codes and monitor...

Chris........

boatmanbilly

Recruit

Hello and welcome to iBoats....

The 2 active codes you have can be ignored. The 119 code, steering ckt, is for when there is a steering position feedback sensor, which you appear not to have. Same with the trim ckt.

The fuel pump and IAC codes are more of a concern. I would suspect these are the source of your 'engine alarm'... Clear the codes and monitor...

Chris........

Thanks for the help Chris. Cleared the codes - 119 and 130 (steering and tilt) came back as active and the engine alarm is still sounding. Going to change the trim sending unit on the outdrive - I fear the alarm will continue until I figure out what the active 119 steering alarm is....

Again - thanks for the help - any other help with this would be great....

achris

I have a 4.3 MPI and the diagnostic software. Those codes are always active and do not fire the alarm. The trim sender also will not fire the alarm. But both will continue to be displayed as active as there is no feedback unit connected to the circuit.

What is the alarm? A long beep, every 2 seconds? A fast continuous beep?

Chris........

boatmanbilly

Recruit

I have a 4.3 MPI and the diagnostic software. Those codes are always active and do not fire the alarm. The trim sender also will not fire the alarm. But both will continue to be displayed as active as there is no feedback unit connected to the circuit.

What is the alarm? A long beep, every 2 seconds? A fast continuous beep?

Chris.......

The beep is a single beep every couple minutes. The Smart Craft in the dash flashes a bell and an engine symbol all the time.

Think my plan is to replace the trim sender and limit switch just because I know they need to be done. Also will do the IAC solenoid and fuel pump relay - think this will take care of all except the 119 steering code. Hoping that as you said this code is always active and these fixes will silence the alarm....

Do appreciate your thoughts...

achris

This is the manual for the MPI diagnostics. There are 2 version and I can't remember which one is loaded up. But they both have a Guardian system alarm table. Have a look and you'll see where the trim and steering ckts are called out.. Also the IAC and fuel pump relay...

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1TAvwZ3TjhfY09pYVBxZFE1WVE

boatmanbilly

Recruit

Chris..

The smart craft alarm was sounding due to the 130, 151, 152. Replaced the fuel pump relay, trim sending unit, and the IAC. Cleared codes and the trim came code came back. ended up having to adjust the new sending unit some so it would not go all the way up to 5 volts when at the trailer position. After that and clearing the codes again, the 119 steering code was still active and no alarm!! As you said, that code must be always active. This is after my friend had this boat at a marina for two weeks and it was not touched and another marina that just replaced the smartcraft unit for a hefty price and no fix.
Thanks for the info!!! Will be on here helping others out (and asking more questions)..
Thanks again....

Fun Times

Staff member

Does/did your smartcraft gauge show trim positions with a digital number read out while trimming?

Do you know if your trim sending units are analog or digital?

Item number 6 is analog and item number 25 is digital,

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...&bnbr=70&bdesc=GIMBAL+RING+AND+STEERING+LEVER

You are correct, if either the steering sensor, pitot sensor, Fuel level sensor, lake/sea temp transducer and in some cases, the digital trim sensor is not connected to the efi wiring harness, then the ECM will detect it. But it typically should not sound the warning horn, but i have seen in the past that if something more major happens like what you experienced, then the smartcraft may show all faults even if they were programed to be ignored within the ecm under normal running circumstances.

To clear the active fault out of the smartcraft gauge, you're probably going to have to do a sensor detection reset like these two guys did to clear their Port sea tmp ckt hi" alarm & Smartcraft Alarm Ambient Temperature ckt HI.

Smartcraft Alarm Ambient Temperature ckt HI 2005 Searay 32DA