Removing the armature in a Minn Kota trolling motor

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently was given non-working Minn Kota 50 Endura. The switch assembly checked out okay and when I hot wired the red/black wires going down the shaft no action. I want to go through the motor to see if it may be minor such as brushes. I marked the case as recommended so I won't reverse the motor upon reassembly and pulled the prop, 2 long bolts and slide off the rear case and housing assembly. I'm down to removing the armature assembly from the brush end housing assembly and am not sure of the next step. I've pulled lightly on the armature and it didn't budge.

Any trick to get the armature and brush assembly out of the brush end housing assembly? The tube is still attached to the brush end housing assembly.

Is the armature just possibly stuck in the forward bearing? Brute strength pull?

I don't want to be yanking on the armature unless required.

Thanks for any advice.

fixnfly

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Removing the armature in a Minn Kota trolling motor

Does it spin on the brushes? If so pull, if not its probably frozen to the bearing. Try WD-40.

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Armature spins fine. Will the brush plate assembly stay put or come out with the armature?

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

The brush plate assembly should be attached at the base if the wires haven't burnt it.

fixnfly

Seaman Apprentice

It will stay put. Turn it upside down and use the weight if the armature to help pull it down and out.

I will caution you, the hardest part of putting everything back together is keeping the brushes held outward when replacing the armature. It can be done.

I just rebuild my starter a month ago in my kitchen.

Attachments

• exclamation.png
    exclamation.png
    648 bytes · Views: 0

fixnfly

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry picture didnt work.

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
UPDATED Remov(ed) ing the armature in a Minn Kota trolling motor

UPDATED Remov(ed) ing the armature in a Minn Kota trolling motor

Thanks for advise - I pulled armature out and found water had come in rear seal. Looked rather nasty but after cleaning up the entire unit and some light sanding the until cleaned up rather well. The brushes & springs look fine, the brush assembly and armature look okay. Bearings are shot. I'm having an electrician look at the armature to see if he detects a short. I was getting a reading between winds on the now clean armature which is much better than a dead short! If armature passes I'll order new seals, bearings and probably brushes. Even if armature is shot, this was a good exercise as I have 2 other Minn Kota's!!! I've attached 3 "before" photos to show how it looked before cleaning up.
brush assembly before cleaning.jpgBefore cleaning armature.jpgbrush assembly and unit.jpg Here's armature after cleaning. Electrician said the armature tested fine. Will try minimal repair with seals and bearings.armature after cleaning.jpg

Last edited:

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

An update for anyone with a similar project in the future. Found out the bearing on the end of the shaft that resided in the brush assembly was pressed on tight. I purchased a small gear puller from an auto supply store. The cheap small puller broke (threads stripped) in the first attempt to pull the bearing. Returned it for a larger model which pulled the bearing up flush to the end of the shaft. Put a small "nut" that was smaller than the shaft diameter and finally pulled the bearing off. Cleaned up the commutator and shaft end (where bearing was pressed) with some very fine wet/dry sandpaper until the new bearing would slip on. Re-installed new bearing, paper tube, cleaned brushes, new gasket, o-ring, washers and rear seal, bolt seals (approx. $12). Took about 30 minutes to reassemble once I confirmed the sequence. Motor runs with 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse, (like new?) out of water & since I reassembled the magnets & housing in same position, the motor is turning in the correct direction. The real test will be attached to the boat. Regardless, I had $12 worth of entertainment in taking the motor apart and putting it back together.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

An update for anyone with a similar project in the future. Found out the bearing on the end of the shaft that resided in the brush assembly was pressed on tight. I purchased a small gear puller from an auto supply store. The cheap small puller broke (threads stripped) in the first attempt to pull the bearing. Returned it for a larger model which pulled the bearing up flush to the end of the shaft. Put a small "nut" that was smaller than the shaft diameter and finally pulled the bearing off. Cleaned up the commutator and shaft end (where bearing was pressed) with some very fine wet/dry sandpaper until the new bearing would slip on. Re-installed new bearing, paper tube, cleaned brushes, new gasket, o-ring, washers and rear seal, bolt seals (approx. $12). Took about 30 minutes to reassemble once I confirmed the sequence. Motor runs with 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse, (like new?) out of water & since I reassembled the magnets & housing in same position, the motor is turning in the correct direction. The real test will be attached to the boat. Regardless, I had $12 worth of entertainment in taking the motor apart and putting it back together.

Nice post and great job. I wish somebody gave me a broken trolling motor. I would love to fix one myself also... Always great to read and see (pictures) of a project like this. This IS exactly what these forums are all about in my perspective...