1989 Evinrude 88 hp trim/tilt motor leaking

Youcalled

Recruit
I have a 1989 Evinrude 88hp outboard motor vin # VE88MSLCER with the trim/tilt pump leaking. The pump is leaking from the o-ring but I cannot remove the ring for the life of me. I was able to remove two of the three nuts. The third nut is hidden behind the pump and is impossible to remove without removing the motor. I was wondering if I could disconnect either the wires or hose to make it manual just for the time being? Stripper season just started and I really dont want to lose out on the fishing. Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1989 Evinrude 88 hp trim/tilt motor leaking

On the starboard(right) transom bracket you should see a hole where you can access the manual release valve; turn the screw about 1 1/2 to 2 turns out and that should release the pressure to let you raise the engine. It may take two to raise it high enough to lock it up. Good luck.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Is this the regular factory OMC PTT assembly? I don't fully understand what you're saying. The pump would be underneath the electric motor... that electric motor being attached to the manifold with three screws. I've had many of those units apart but cannot visualize the nuts you speak of.

If you're trying to remove the electric motor, in order to remove that last hidden screw, you'll need to either remove the complete PTT unit from between the transom brackets, OR secure the engine in a tilted position and remove and slide aside the port transom bracket, OR remove the motor.

Removing any wiring will be of no help to temporarily convert that engine to a manual lift model, and removing any hose/tubing will result in water entering the unit effectively destroying the unit.

There is a manual release valve.... look for a hole in the side of starboard transom bracket, near the lower portion of the bracket. Inside you will see a slotted screw (the manual release valve), back it out TWO TURNS and two turns only.

Youcalled

Recruit

Thank you Will and Joe. You are right Joe, they are not bolts they are screws. It is the regular factory assembly. I was hoping to find a way to make the trim/tilt into manual for the time being. If I keep the manual release valve screw loose, (backing it out two turns) and decide to put the boat in the water, will water enter the unit and destroy it? Is there any sort of plug I could replace the release valve screw with for the time being so I could tilt the motor manually? Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The manual release valve has a O Ring seal that should prevent water from entering the unit... it always has which is its normal function.

There are no replacement plugs that I know of.