Is a 14' Starcraft very tippy?

14 foot Starcraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is my second boat (14' long, 58" wide, 20" tall) my first boat was a 10' Jon that was 48" wide! The Jon was wiggly but we tried to tip the Jon over but could not!! I don't like that tippy feeling at all!! Will this Starcraft be tippy? I have not taken the 14' out yet, I traded my 10' Jon for a trailer for the craft!! The reason I wanted rid of the Jon was the tag was missing and I could not register it!!! My Starcraft looks very shallow its kinda telling me it will be tippy, it has a front deck with a swivel chair!!! Tell me what you think, I will be in small likes maybe the Mississippi River

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is a 14' Starcraft very tippy?

What kind of hull is it? Maybe snap a picture. My experience with Jon boats is they are very tipsy.

kfa4303

Banned

A 14' semi-v hull shouldn't be too tippy, especially compared to a little 10 footer. Most 14' boats allow at least 2 folks to stand and fish. I converted the old runabout in my signature/avatar to a fishing boat with a forward casting deck and I'm able to stand up there all day at the beach without any issues at all. Stability is usually a matter of weight distribution and hull design rather than overall size of the boat.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Shape of the hull wi determine how tippy it is. Many models were made over the last 60 years.

14 foot Starcraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok we'll it's not a jun boat, it's v hull!! I will try to get some pics, also do you think a 1968 Evinrude 6hp will be enough?
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again 14 footer. It looks like you have a very common semi-V hull like mine, which is pointed in the bow, but the flattens out to have little or no deadrise (angle) at the transom, whereas a V-hull will have a distinct angle throughout the entire length of the hull. These old tin boats are a pretty much a blank canvas. You can do practically anything you want with simple tools and materials. There are only a few rule to keep in mind. NEVER use pressure treated wood as it will causing pitting in the hull. Instead, use exterior grade non-PT plywood (1/2"-3/4") and seal it. You can use 2-part spreadable epoxy, Several coats of Spar Urethane, or even several coats of a good exterior grade paint. You can then mount it to the hull using stainless steel hardware and/or aluminum rivets. That's really about it. The rest is just a matter of time, money and creativity.

14 foot Starcraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So your saying I'm going to like this boat and it will be stabile? How about the 6hp motor, I'm obviously not racing just want to get out and fish!! And I think the front deck is made out of pressure treated wood!!

Monsterbishi

Cadet

So your saying I'm going to like this boat and it will be stabile? How about the 6hp motor, I'm obviously not racing just want to get out and fish!! And I think the front deck is made out of pressure treated wood!!

If you're purely a fine weather/flat water fisherman and have plenty of time to spare the 6hp will get you short distances ok, but I would certainly be thinking about a upgrade in that respect, you wouldn't have anything left to get out of trouble ie - unforecast weather, etc.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

That rounded hull looks kinda tippy to me but my old 14'er had hard chines, not rounded ones. It looks more like a really wide canoe to me but I'm sure others that own similar will chime in. I had a 9.9 on mine and it was certainly not overpowered with two adults and a cooler. In fact, it "got on plane" and that's about it. Pretty sure 6 would not have made it. Maybe by yourself, you could get her to plane but again, my boat had quite a different shape to the bottom.
I would not consider it a semi-V with zero deadrise at the stern. I can guarantee it will be a bumpy ride in any kind of chop.
All that said, it will probably fish great. Just watch where you sit/stand and keep any additional weight as low as possible.

14 foot Starcraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok we'll I snapped some more pics!! I'm pretty new to boating and got a screaming deal on this!!! I want to make sure this is the boat for me!! Like I said I fish in small lakes and rivers and maybe hit the st.croix river in MN too!! I like this boat, I not had it out yet but it's got to be better then my old Jon, the Jon would scare the crap out of me when my friend leans to one side!! Yes two (some times three lol) 130lb kids in a 10' Jon lol!! I want it to warm up so I can try it out to see if I like it! Well here are the pics...
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, it is going to be tippy but a tad more stabile than you 10'er. I'd not even consider putting it on any lake with any large wakes. A 6HP on a river? Especially the Mississippi? Too much current, too much commercial traffic. The boat probably is not rated for or capable of handling sufficient power for those rivers. Small lake with max HP permitted 10 HP you may be very happy. my $.02

14 foot Starcraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, it is going to be tippy but a tad more stabile than you 10'er. I'd not even consider putting it on any lake with any large wakes. A 6HP on a river? Especially the Mississippi? Too much current, too much commercial traffic. The boat probably is not rated for or capable of handling sufficient power for those rivers. Small lake with max HP permitted 10 HP you may be very happy. my $.02

I ment the St.croix it's pretty big but not as near as big as the Mississippi lol!!! I will be testing it in the river that's 500 yards from our house its deepest part where I go is probably 5 feet, there is parts so shallow I had to get out and walk my jonny!! Perfect for testing!! The 10er was rated at 3hp I had the my 6 on it in the river it worked perfect (more powerful currant than the st.croix)

64osby

Admiral

Tippy is a relative word / sensation. What bothers one person will not effect another.

You would be very hard pressed to flip that boat.

Put it on the water and tells us how it is.

Does it still have the capacity plate, weight and max hp?

14 foot Starcraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tippy is a relative word / sensation. What bothers one person will not effect another.

You would be very hard pressed to flip that boat.

Put it on the water and tells us how it is.

Does it still have the capacity plate, weight and max hp?
it's ratted at 18hp max, I own a 68 Evinrude 6hp, like I said I'm not racing but I want at least 10 mph, I found the 18hp max on the seirel number tag, the weight/capacity is missing

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes it will be tippy due to the rounded shape of the bottom of the hull.
The raised platform and chair up front , raises the center of gravity and any movement up there will mean tipsiness.

If you are the guy up on that chair, and someone leans over in the stern of the boat, good luck.

This is a "sit down and don't move around" boat.
This is not a stand and fish boat, period.

6 hp will be enough.

I would remove that front deck, open up some space, lower the center of gravity, and find a fishing partner that can sit still.

Speaking from personal experience here.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I ment the St.croix it's pretty big but not as near as big as the Mississippi lol!!! I will be testing it in the river that's 500 yards from our house its deepest part where I go is probably 5 feet, there is parts so shallow I had to get out and walk my jonny!! Perfect for testing!! The 10er was rated at 3hp I had the my 6 on it in the river it worked perfect (more powerful currant than the st.croix)

Much better, this description of your plans sound much safer!

14 foot Starcraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I should ditch the deck? I think I will give it a try in the river on Sunday and I will carefully go up there and see if its really tippy, if it is its a really nice deck that somebody spent a lot of time on I will be burning :( unless you guys think just by looking at it that deck will be bad, then I will remove it now and not even try it!