Tilt Trim Motor 89 Mariner Stops

Musky killer

Cadet
I have a 1989 75 hp Mariner, I just replaced brushes and put a few small orings around armatuer base. It works for a bit and then stops. then after a few seconds of rest starts again. I filled fluid and think it is bled out. The fill tube is about 5 inches long and has a factory bend in it. 3 ram system 2wire motor with base that does not go down into pump only armatuer goes down into pump. Any ideas?

RRitt

Captain
Re: Tilt Trim Motor 89 Mariner Stops

take apart. put armature into drill press with contacts down. trun on drill press and polish aramture with #800 wet dry. clean contacts with min sprits and toothbrush. do not use solvent. the insulating paint on windings is often laquer and solvents can easily dissolve lacquer. reasemble.

if your motor still has a dead spot then it need to be replaced.

Musky killer

Cadet

Thanks, CAM00255.jpg here is a pic also I did clean it with brake cleaner to get rid of grime but didn't sand contact on armatuer, I will try that.

RRitt

Captain

you may also want to see if there is a set of points inside. it is actually a thermal breaker. if there is, use a nail file to clean the contacts. There is a stamped metal stand-off that hold the bi-metal contact strip. Make sure the arm is square. If it has become bent then gently bend it back to square angles with needle nose pliers.