Shore power,boat outlets out

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I usually leave a fan running in my cabin.When i got to my boat after a heavy rain shower,the fan was not running.I checked and all the outlets were not working.The outlet breaker was not tripped but I changed the breaker any way.1 of the outlets in the cockpit may have gotten pretty wet and I am going to replace it.Everything else in the boat works fine with the shore power and with the ac accessories.I have never had to check any of this before so I have no experience.Any ideas would be appreciated.Charlie

hohmanr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Shore power,boat outlets out

If you replaced the breaker and the outlets still aren't working, then suspect something more sinister...If your outlet did get wet and shorted the entire circuit out than you have to wonder why the breaker did not throw..THIS is your real issue here....You can thank your lucky stars the boat is not a pile of ashes on the bottom..You ought to get to the bottom of this one before it happens again w/o lady luck on your side..

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Charlie...not sure how many outlets you have or if they are all on the same breaker but my boats have always had a GFCI outlet in each circuit, these usually have a test and reset button on them, you may have one and it has tripped taking the whole circuit with it, just look at each outlet, the buttons are usually in the middle.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is the first outlet in the circuit a GFI one? If it is maybe its just a matter of resetting it. There should be a red button between the sets of plug holes, try pushing it in on the first outlet.

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with boatin bob and thomwv, it's probably the GFI. Whether it resets or not, I'd recommend pulling the GFI plug out and cleaning and drying it with contact cleaner if it does reset and replacing it if it doesn't.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Well I found out on my own but you guys were right!!!I checked all the outlets one at a time and none of them are gfi(soon to change that).6 of them in all.Then my lovely bride happens to mention to me the outlet in the aft cabin with the buttons on it.At that very moment she realized that I was not only not aware of the outlet but also not aware there was a gfi on the circuit.That was it!!!! Charlie