Gear lube hose replacement

kac215

Cadet
I have a year 2000 alpha 1 gen 2 on a 5.7. I have to replace the gear lube hose from transom to bell housing. I am no stranger to pulling the drive and have been into this part of the outdrive before but I am wondering if I can get to the clamp on the bell housing end of the hose with the bellows still attached? I do know about the breakable plastic thru hull fitting on the other end (been there, done that). Also, I do not have an exhaust bellows (thru hull exhaust) if that helps. In other words, I am wondering if I can do this without removing the u joint bellows and the gear shift bellows? Just need to know what all to order from my dealer before I start. And furthermore, I don't want to do another bellows job; did that last year and didn't replace this hose in question like a moron. Thanks for any help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Gear lube hose replacement

Ayuh,.... Donno for sure, but usin' a 1/4" drive racket, 'n extensions, 'n wobblies, ya might pull it off...

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

How did you know your gear lube hose was bad? I have a 2001 and I'm at the point where I'm about to put the bell housing back on. I had planned to reuse the gear lube hose and noticed it was very stiff but no chaffing or cracking on it...

kac215

Cadet

I found an oil spot under the drive in my carport and traced it to a crack in the hose. If you are that far into your drive right now than replace. My mistake will cost me some time redoing something that I knew I should have done last year.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The factory installed hose is attached with plastic clamps.Use a pair of side cutters to snip the clamp and cut the hose with a razor knife to remove it.