1969 merc 800

85cheetah

Cadet
I am new to the boating thing. I just bought a cheetah 160 with a mercury 80hp on the back. my question is, how reliable is this engine and is there any issues i should know about?

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: 1969 merc 800

I've got a '71 vintage of the same motor. Still running strong, but I had to do a rebuild this winter due to bad lower crankshaft seals and bad main bearings. Not bad for a 42 year old motor. Parts are still available but the electonics/electrical parts are expensive if they need to be replaced.

One common problem is that the insulation on the internal wiring harness becomes brittle and falls off the wire. Pretty much every old Merc needs to be rewired.

A couple things that should be done. Do a compression check. That will give an overall indication of the condition of the motor. Drain and refill the lower unit oil, and check for water or metal fragments in the oil when you drain it. Replace the waterpump impeller to be sure that the cooling system is working properly.

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

Probably not available any more but you do have some options.
1) Repair it yourself the best you can
2) Get lucky and find one on ebay. (I did)
3) CDI will rebuild yours but it's pricey.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A new CDI replacement is about $130 if you shop. I don't think CDI rebuilds them. The molded plug makes it hard to rebuild.

Here is the CDI catalog, wiring harnesses start on the bottom of the page. I think you want 414-2770, click the blue part number link. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/cdi_electronics/catalog.html?http://www.marineengine.com/parts/cdi_electronics/index.htm

EDIT - The link isn't working right, just goes to the index. Click Mercury Mariner on the left, then click Wiring Harness.

85cheetah

Cadet

Other than wiring. Is there any other things I should look at? Like I said I am new to this stuff

Moody Blue

Captain

See post #2.

Have you had it running at all? Maybe try to get it started before throwing alot of money at it. At the very least do a compression test.