Bellows and Shift Cable Question

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Getting ready to replace U-joint bellow on my Cobra.. As I was reading the manual it is unclear to me if I will have to readjust shift cable if I am replacing bellows only? Adjusting shift cable seems like a critical operation and I do not completelly understand how to do it so I'm kinda affraid touching it :cool:...

Is there a good write up on it with pictures? Thanks guys!!!

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bellows and Shift Cable Question

http://www.midnight-wolf.com/Cobra_Shift_Cable_Install.pdf

It will be difficult to replace the bellows without removing the shift cable.. but it can be done, if the cable is more than a few years old, really look at it to determine if you need to replace it... normally, if the bellows are junk, a lot of things need replacing... Bearings, gaskets, impeller, shift cable, etc etc - then you will need to have the tools to do the work as well, alignment tool, shift cable tools, if you are not comfortable... just keep asking questions... there are a lot of knowledgeable people here

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I all regular tools. I will need to buy engine alignment tool... Shft cable adjustment tool... Manual talks about washers and nuts, are they come with shift cable tool? Anything else I should get?

Also, if I adjust cable wrong wouldi be able to tell that it is not correct prior to killing my drive?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Also, if I adjust cable wrong wouldi be able to tell that it is not correct prior to killing my drive?
If you use the adjusting tools, you pretty much won't have a problem with it being adjusted wrong.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Who makes this adjustment tool? I have access to the large marine parts distributor and do not want to buy from ebay, but I need to know who makes it and a part number to order it.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Amazon.com: Omc Cobra Shift Cable Adjustment Tool / Alignment Kit 914017 915271: Sports & Outdoors

i know I can get it online. But anyone knows if ths tool bing made by one of the brands? Like sierra, CDI, Johnson or anybody else

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

i know I can get it online. But anyone knows if ths tool bing made by one of the brands? Like sierra, CDI, Johnson or anybody else
I used to always rent them from a local shop where I bought parts from. As long as you bought parts from them it was a $5 rental.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok I guess I'll give it a try...

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok spent a day in a storage with my dad. We replaced U-joint bellows and adjusted shift cable. Now I wonder about switches A and B on my pictures. What is the purpose? How should I adjust them? Do both of them must be ON position while boat in reverse or forward and depressed in neutral? 2013-04-28 13.34.37.jpg

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

one is the ESA switch and the other is the overstroke switch that keeps the ESA from activating once you are all the way in or out of gear

you want to get the factory manual for your exact model year prefix for cable adjustment. It will explain what should be going on with those switches while you do the adjustment.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Going through my manual I can not find anything abou ESA

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have a factory OMC manual?

I got two different manuals. How do you tell if it is original or not? they both seems to be scanned from some old binder... No cover pages on both.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Post a page of the beginning of one of the sections and we can tell.

Also, see if you have a section called "throttle and shift control systems".

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Post a page of the beginning of one of the sections and we can tell.

Untitled.jpg

This is the first page of the manual

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That's not a factory manual. Check your PM.