Retire 1972 50 hp Evenrude?

Steve98513

Recruit
It starts on the first crank and still runs very well. It is jet pump equipped for shallow river use. I could add that it's noisy and drinks a fair bit of fuel. But $5,000 buys a lot of boat gas. More to the point, it seems like it has less power than it used to. Boat planes fine with two men on board, but can be sluggish with three large men on board. Although the outboard runs fine now, I plan to retire in a couple years. Replacing the motor now is more affordable than it will be on my expected future retirement income.

Option A: Replace outboard now and enjoy benefits of more power and quieter performance now instead of later.

Option B: Set money aside in dedicated outboard replacement savings and run Evie until she dies.

Option C: ??

What to do, and why?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Retire 1972 50 hp Evenrude?

I'm retired and if I were you I'd buy it now and enjoy it. Nobody knows what tomorrow may bring. JMHO

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Retire 1972 50 hp Evenrude?

i like option b, with a tune up on the old 50. unless you can get a good $$ for it because its a jet pump....then sell while its still working good and put the proceeds toward your new toy. jmo