Steering Cable

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys,

I have a 1978 Merc 1400 / 140HP

This morning I went to go move the steering wheel and it's seized, why I didn't check this when I got the boat is beyond me.

Can anyone link me to the correct cable I need? Possibly the the steering wheel and anything else I might need to replace the steering wheel assembly and cable.

Thanks in advance.

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Steering Cable

Can't find the part numbers for the Throttle and Gear cables either.... Odd

Jeep Man

Commander

Hey Guys,

I have a 1978 Merc 1400 / 140HP

This morning I went to go move the steering wheel and it's seized, why I didn't check this when I got the boat is beyond me.

Can anyone link me to the correct cable I need? Possibly the the steering wheel and anything else I might need to replace the steering wheel assembly and cable.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to google Teleflex. Before doing this though, disconnect the cable from the motor to see if the problem is in the cable/steering assembly or with the motor bracket.

Petty Officer 1st Class

It could just be a dry clogged cable... I had the exact same issue last week except mine was very stiff and not seized... I removed the steering assembly, pulled the cable off the motor and helm which revealed lots of dirt and no grease at all... I then sprayed some WD40 (or your choice of lubricating spray) into the cable opening, played it about 30 or 40 times back and forth, and let it hang off the ceiling in my garage so that the WD40 makes its way through the cable... I also opened up the helm and will be replacing the grease in there tomorrow... Cable was very dry, now moves very freely! Saved myself over $200 in new steering, maybe you could give this a try and see if it works for you?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Throttle and shift cables are standard Merc ones, made by teleflex and others. Very common