Switchable exhaust?

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer
Over the winter I/we invested in the switchable Captain's Call Side Exit Exhaust from Corsa. My wife doesn't want to call it an investment, being a banker.

Any who, I'm wondering if one can switch from factory(out the prop), to the side exit while under way? For example; If I'm cruising down the river at 3200rpm and a need to quieten her down becomes apparent(law enforcement, maybe?), can I just snap that switch over to the quiet side or do I need to slow down first?

I guess what I'm asking is; can I switch back and forth when ever I want?

Thanks.....

Ken

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Switchable exhaust?

Yes. I have the same system on my boat and flip it on and off at will; either for aversion or impression, lol

Bondo

Staff member

Over the winter I/we invested in the switchable Captain's Call Side Exit Exhaust from Corsa. My wife doesn't want to call it an investment, being a banker.

Any who, I'm wondering if one can switch from factory(out the prop), to the side exit while under way? For example; If I'm cruising down the river at 3200rpm and a need to quieten her down becomes apparent(law enforcement, maybe?), can I just snap that switch over to the quiet side or do I need to slow down first?

Thanks.....

Ken

Ayuh,.... That Depends on which set-up ya got, which solenoids it uses, 'n What State yer in,...

Here in NYS, "driver switchable" exhaust is Illegal to have mounted on the boat... Period....

But,... Generally speakin',... Ya, it's just a flick of a switch...

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

I was just wondering if back pressure changes when you switch and if that had any adverse affect?

Ken

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

That's why I spent the big bucks on the switchable. If I wanted to annoy you, I would have put straight pipes on.
Mostly for start up and idling. We have miles of uninhabited river where I can blow the leaves of the trees.

Ken

emilsr

Thanks.....

Ken

Ken; To answer your question; yes, you can switch ALMOST whenever you want to. Best to do the switching at lower rpms/power settings, though you should be fine at + or - 3,000rpm. Running WOT it isn't adviseable to switch. With your 5.7, the difference in back pressure isn't even noticeable so don't worry about losing performance. You'd need a really sharp pencil to calculate the effect.

I'm not sure what the noise law is up in Canadia, but down here in most places they will check you with the exhaust open...even if you have switchable AND it's legal in that state. You aren't likely to be over the limit with a 5.7 though.

We use ours a lot. Around the docks, boat ramp, idling into a crowded cove....all are times I hit the quiet button. Most people like the sound of a lightly muffled big block, but not everyone. I try to be sensitive to that. Of course there are some who will complain about ANY noise...or anyTHING for that matter....but the whole idea is to be polite to those who share the water with you. I don't care for the sound of a PWC or a 2-stroke outboard (unless it's wound up to 9k rpm) but I don't complain. Different strokes for different folks. People do appreciate a polite boater though.

thumpar

Admiral

That's why I spent the big bucks on the switchable. If I wanted to annoy you, I would have put straight pipes on.
Mostly for start up and idling. We have miles of uninhabited river where I can blow the leaves of the trees.

Ken
Don't take it the wrong way. I think my 2.5l is way to loud as it is and can't imagine open pipes on a V8. Where I boat is a 25 mile long dammed up river with no houses on most of it. I just wouldn't want to live on it and have open pipes. Oh and I am only 35 so it is not an old fogy thing.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

As political correctness continues to run amuck at an alarming rate I've seen harbormasters here in the states turning away boaters at the entrance to a harbor (before they even enter) with any type of modified exhaust.

emilsr

I was idling back to the start boat during this run, with my exhaust switched to quiet. Can't even hear me. :D

Open exhaust on blown alky big blocks is about the sweetest sound I know.....and I'm 50, so it isn't a "young punk" thing.

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Cool video.

I think manners and considering others is 90% of boating. There is a time and a place for everything. Again, I believe that why that switch costs $1000.00. lol

emilsr

Cool video.

I think manners and considering others is 90% of boating. There is a time and a place for everything. Again, I believe that why that switch costs $1000.00. lol

Exactly. Some fish, some race, some cruise...all are boaters. That trumps everything else.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I had Capts Call on on my Four Winns 211 Liberator when I had the OMG Ford 460 installed.

When I installed the 454, I left the Capts Call on the floor. Since it didn't seem to make any performance difference on the boat, I thought it might work better on the floor.....

When I had it in the boat, all it did was pizz everyone else off (in the boat and on the shore) when I switched it "on".

If I could find a decent pair of SS muffler extensions, I would consider putting it back in. (I'd probably have to modify it to fit the 454 since it was the 460 setup...)

It's almost not worth messing with though........

ymmv.....

Rick

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I had Capts Call on on my Four Winns 211 Liberator when I had the OMG Ford 460 installed.

When I installed the 454, I left the Capts Call on the floor. Since it didn't seem to make any performance difference on the boat, I thought it might work better on the floor.....

When I had it in the boat, all it did was pizz everyone else off (in the boat and on the shore) when I switched it "on".

If I could find a decent pair of SS muffler extensions, I would consider putting it back in. (I'd probably have to modify it to fit the 454 since it was the 460 setup...)

It's almost not worth messing with though........

ymmv.....

Rick

With that setup you must have been able to blow the leaves off of the trees and crack stubborn kidney stones from about the same distance! :lol:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

With that setup you must have been able to blow the leaves off of the trees and crack stubborn kidney stones from about the same distance! :lol:

Yeah. It had 'straight' thru-hull pipes....... It was seriously obnoxious to all concerned!!!

Scott Farley

Cadet

Don't take it the wrong way. I think my 2.5l is way to loud as it is and can't imagine open pipes on a V8. Where I boat is a 25 mile long dammed up river with no houses on most of it. I just wouldn't want to live on it and have open pipes. Oh and I am only 35 so it is not an old fogy thing.

Is there any power increase with the straight exhaust? I am looking to get just a little more "umph" to pull the kids on the tube. I too, have a 2.5 in my 18' imperial v182. thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Is there any power increase with the straight exhaust? I am looking to get just a little more "umph" to pull the kids on the tube. I too, have a 2.5 in my 18' imperial v182. thanks

Absolutely zero..... The best way to get a more 'umph' from a 2.5 is to replace it with a 3 litre. If you need a bit more pulling power for tubing, drop the prop to a smaller pitch...

Scott Farley

Cadet

thanks for the info. Yes, I've been thinking about the engine swap. I have heard that a special flywheel and coupling have to be purchased to accomplish this....

achris

More fish than mountain goat

thanks for the info. Yes, I've been thinking about the engine swap. I have heard that a special flywheel and coupling have to be purchased to accomplish this....

This is all a new question and nothing to do with the original poster, so ask it in your own thread...