Wellcraft 170 Classic -89 full restoration

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I am starting this thread of my Wellcraft wich I bought last fall. The boat was pretty cheap (1000€ -->1300$). Normally here in Finlad, you won't get this kind of USA boat less than 3000€.

So I knew the floor was bad, especially the rear section of it. The previous owner said that he had replaced the transom few years ago due to rot, but he hadn't done anything to the deck and the stringers. I remember I was wondering then, that is it possible to change the transom without removing the deck..

The engine was bad also. (3.0 Mercruiser with Alpha one). It had water in the oil.

So I knew this would be a big project, but when it's done, I know that it will be a boat for me for many years.

Here are pictures from last fall, (just bought):
Veneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 591.jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 594.jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 596.jpg

Attachments

• Veneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 602.jpg
    Veneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 602.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Wellcraft 170 Classic -89 full restoration

Well, the previous owner sent me some pictures of the transom repair:
134.jpg139.jpg

See the quality of his work... This all needs to be redone.

During the winter I did a full restoration for the engine. I had to buy a new block, because the old was cracked. The engine got everything new, bearings, rings, oil pump etc... and paint.
Veneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 614.jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 718.jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 728.jpg

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also re-sealed the outdrive, because the drive shaft seal was leaking. I replaced all the seals to the upper and lower unit. And the impeller also.

So now I have restored the technical part of the boat, and now when the summer and warm is coming closer, I am able to work outside with the boat, and start paying attention to the hull section. I hope that I am able to start tearing the deck out at the end of this week.

I am new to boats and fiberglass, but I know here I can get the best help available!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You work is outstanding!!! I Really like your Motor Puller!!!! Your shop looks pretty good too!!! Keep us posted on your progress and we'll be here to help when and where we can.

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the kind words!!
Yep, Komatsu is pretty handy in motor lifting! (It's my dad's)

Here are more pictures of the project: Wellcraft Photos by Jussi-T | Photobucket

The boat didn't have a trailer. The trailer behind my car had been borrowed from a friend of mine. So the first thing was to build a trailer.
My dad suggested that build the trailer from an old sugar beet harvesting machine :D My dad is a farmer and he had this old machine, so we decided to transform it to a boat trailer. :D

When the trailer was ready, it was time for the engine. I disassembled it, and it found out, that the block was cracked, and welded. Also the head gasket was blown. So that's why the engine didn't run properly.

I bought a OMC/(Mercruiser) GM 181 cid engine and took a block and crankshaft from it. All the rest were better shape in the original engine. Then It was time for machining and ordering parts. I ordered parts from the USA.

When the engine was ready, I pressure tested my drive. Only the driveshaft seal was leaking, but I decided to change all the seals and the impeller. The outdrive is now 99% ready, it still needs to be painted.

So this is what I have done so far. Now spring has finally came, and the snow has melted away, so it's time to start doing the hull! :) I hope it doesn't take all the summer, but I have prepared for that.

So I'll post more pics when I proceed, I hope the deck will be removed after the weekend!

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Today I got the deck off the boat. At least most of it. The deck is completely rotten! Same thing with the rear stringers. The rear stringers are like mold, and they can be removed with a spoon!:D The worst rot is at the rear of the boat, the bow is actually pretty good. I decided today, that I'm not going to take the cap off. I'm going to cut out as much as I can reach, because the stringers are solid at the bow. What do you think, should I use plywood or regular wood for the stringers? I think plywood absorbs moisture more than wood?

Pics:
Veneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 008.jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 016.jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 017.jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 018.jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 019.jpg

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking... should I remove thecap after all... The right side stringer is a little soft at the bow also... It would be quite difficult to replace the whole stringers with the cap on. What do you think, can I remove the cap with the boat on the trailer or do I need to build a cradle?

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I decided to remove the cap. It's the only way to do things properly I think. The right side stringer was rotten from the bow to the transom. Left was better, it had solid wood about 10 inch from the bow.Everything else is totally rotted..
Veneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 024.jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 023.jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 029.jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 028.jpg

Tomorrow I start tearing the transom off.

zool

Captain

I like the trailer, you could go off roading with that thing ;)

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The transom is now removed. It was an easy job due to rot :D It was just completely rotted, it didn't have solid wood at all, except the middle section wich was replaced by previous owner. Next thing to do, is to remove the stringers.
I will add pics later!
What material should I use for the new stringers? Plywood, or normal wood, I think board is the right word for it?

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't updated this topic lately, but the project has been moving on. The stringers are now removed and the hull is grinded. Now it is time to spend some money and I have a question about the plywood. What do you guys think, how thick plywood should i use for the deck? The original was 3/4 but I have read that people have used 1/2 instead of 3/4 in their projects. I was planning to use 3/4 for the stringers and 1/2 for the deck..

Please share your opinion :)

blackrider

Seaman

Hey Jussi I am very interested in your restoration. I just bought the exact same boat in the United States. It had one soft area in the floor that was crushed in. I pulled up the carpet to examine the area and luckily just the decking is rotten in this one spot. The stringers and main frames still are in good shape. For the time being I scabbed in a replacement peice so that people wouldn't trip. Over the winter I am going to pull up the old decking and replace with fresh just to be safe. I looked at all of your pics from photobucket. Your work looks great and I enjoy seeing your progress. I love restoring and rebuilding. You have great skills. keep up the good work and keep us all posted.

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! :) It always motivates you, when you get this kind of feedback! I think the job isn't so bad once you just get started! ;) Though so far I have just done the demolition job, but I think now the project will get much more interesting when the construction job begins (I have to say, grinding the fiberglass SUCKS :D )

I decided to make my stringers from 3/4" ply and the deck is going to be 1/2" ply... Do you guys think this will be okay??? Like I said before the original deck was 3/4", but I would like to do it 1/2" because of the weight reasons..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Are you going to but the 2-Part expandable pour in foam in the hull? If so, the 1/2 deck will be fine.

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I am going to use pourable 2 part foam. thanks Woodon!!

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Veneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 012 (3).jpg Bare hull

I need to patch this damn hole before I start to put new wood in..Veneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 014 (3).jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 015 (2).jpgVeneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 027 (3).jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Any questions on the hole repair?

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All tips/advice are welcome!!

How do you think it should be done?

NoSkillz

Seaman

How did you get that hole? Very neat trailer!