Boat seat blues.....

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1982 4winns Marquis 160 F/S. The seats are SHOT. I never liked the style of the bucket seats that are stock. I am looking to replace them with a set of back to back loungers. My dilemma is nobody stocks them. I understand that these aren't a high demand item and folks don't replace them very often so most places don't keep them on hand. I would love to be able to lay my hands on a seat before I buy it, look it over and make sure I am going to be happy with it before I drop almost $200.00 on each seat.
I have found these here on Iboats:
Back-to-Back Lounge Seat Deluxe Plus, White-Navy - Wise Boat Seats WD521P-1-924 - iboats
I think I may get them, but I would like some opinions from the members here before I get them. ANY opinions are welcome.
Thanks!
Toby.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat seat blues.....

Iboats has those loungers on closeout right now. When I first got my boat, it was equipped with loungers. They weren't all that great to my way of thinking. If you had adults in them you could crack your heads together if you both sat back. They also had a rather large footprint in a boat with limited deck space.

I have since replaced them with Garelick 050 Premium Roto Molded Seats with swivel pedestal and a fore-aft slide. Much more space available and I can configure their positions as I choose. Much nicer.

1985 Galaxy Bowrider 006 (Resized).JPG

ziggy

Admiral

i've never had a boat with bucket seats so can't comment on them.
i have had back to back seats. i grew up with them on dad's boat. a 16' trihull. my family liked them. back in the 70's ya could still sit on the top of the seats. at least at the lake we were at. great for skiing and getting some wind through your hair. my family also used them as lounges for sun tanning on. disclaimer on this idea (if sitting on the top of back to back seats) is that today, in my state, this is not allowed and would get ya a ticket.
that said. there's other reason to like them. the lounge function. i got back to backs in my current boat. i've over nighted on this boat many times. the fact that the seats fold out into beds is a real winner for my use. fold them out, lay down my sleeping bag and i got an instant soft bed to sleep on.

so now ya got two conflicting ideas on back to back seats...

only thing i'll say extra is, i like to keep my boat pretty much as the factory sent it out as. if that were the case for your boat. i guess i'd be thinking buckets...

but i like my back to backs. i also use underneath these seats as storage. like my portable boarding ladder fits underneath mine. this is another plus. out of sight storage.

good luck in your decision.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The thing is I'm thinkin I can stow my fishing seats under them. Frees up storage in the bow. I too sunbathe on the boat, it'd be nice not to have to do that on the deck..
I am going to get the back to backs. I guess I just have to have faith and order them. I am more concerned about the construction and overall look of them in the boat. I just wish I could actually see them in person before I order them.