12v + 6v on 12v trolling system

adam98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This worked for me, I don't mind taking a logical "risk" but easy way to get more out of your trolling motor with out buying a new one. I'm sure some brands are more over built then others... And can handle higher loads

just make sure to wire it in series not parallel. Otherwise you will have an very unsafe situation as the 12v will try and push/charge the 6v up to 12v not good....I also added a battery cut off if things melt down I can quickly cut the power

So I have a 17.5" 1972 ranger bass boat with a 46lb motorguide trolling motor. With a new 12v battery it pushes about 3-4 mph no wind and has ok torque. But it gets very windy here at castaic lake , Ca. I fish in 5-20mph winds all the time. At about 1 15mph wind I'm about at a stall or even lose ground full bore trolling into the wind. So I added a 6v Rv battery and wow what a difference. Have alot of experience pushing everything to the limits of everything i own and If it breaks it breaks. I'm sure two 12v added to 24v and about 28v charged would be burn up the switch, or speed control circit or whatever is the weakest link but the 6v did the trick. After a few hours trolling on my 12v I wired up my 12v and 6v and it read 20v static and 19.9v full bore trolling on top speed setting. It has 5 speeds and now speed 3 is as good as 5 was on 12v and now speed 5 really isn't nessisay unless I want to troll, make up alot of ground or fight the wind and win. The motor won't over heat sitting in 60 degree water, the wattage draw is obviously higher and efficiency down If I run a full speed. then I should logically have less run time but since I'm now I'm not always full bore. It's prob comprible. I have yet to have noticly lower battery's after trolling all day. I think the speed setting dial would be the week link but it wouldn't be hard to replace if it fails.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 12v + 6v on 12v trolling system

Take a risk. Some win (like Adam), some lose. What would losing cost??