**Squeeze bulb...carb still spits gas...new...

skizman

Seaman
Hello. This is a 91 5hp Gamefisher/Force engine. Gas flows out of the carb when I squeeze the bulb. Only thing that it could be was the needle and seat? I just put in a NEW needle/seat and the same thing happens. Then I realized when I squeeze the bulb...the gas is forced through the main jet inside the fuel bowl...up and out the mouth of the carb.
The couple times when I did get the damn thing started, it speeds up....then slows down...over and over. I adjusted the float according to the service manual.
I am dazed and confused with this. Sure would appreciate any knowledge out there.
Thanks!
Ski

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: **Squeeze bulb...carb still spits gas...new...

Can't answer about the 1991, but it has all the symptoms of a plugged up carburetor bowl vent.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like the needle is not engaging the seat with the float all the way up.

You need to adjust your float so that the seat can fully engage, or the float is taking on fuel and not floating properly.

needle may have got dirty when it was being installed or from the something in the line, level may not have been set correctly, float has a hole in it and will not float.
easy way to tell is to pull the carb check the float then attach a new piece of hose and gently blow into the hose while working the float. when the float is parrallel with the carb the hose should be blocked

skizman

Seaman

Thanks! I'm not sure where the carb bowl vent is? The float is dry inside, and is set parallel to the carb body when upside down. When I blow through the fuel hose, the air stops when I gently push up on the float. Float moves up and down freely. I'm lost with this one???????

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Help me to help you. What kind of carburetor does that motor have? I still may not have the vent location answer, but it will be a place to start.

Let me explain what probably is going on though. Gas flows into the float bowl and the float is supposed to rise and shut it off. Problem is, if the vent is plugged, there is a big air bubble above the fuel level so the fuel doesn't rise in the bowl, therefor the float doesn't rise either. And because it doesn't rise, it doesn't shut off the flow and it runs out the main nozzle and venturi.

We used to see this very often with the old Tillotson MD series carburetors. A leaking needle & seat would cause fuel to spurt out the vent hole. So Mr. Fisherman would jam a toothpick or something into the vent and break it off flush. Of course that didn't fix it so he brings it to the shop, where the mechanic grows more grey hair trying to figure out why he can't fix the flooding. After he finds a few toothpicks, he gets wiser though. Been there, seen that, many times

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

The couple times when I did get the damn thing started, it speeds up....then slows down...over and over.

The speed up/slow down part is probably because it's only getting a small amount of gas into the carb before the pressure builds up and stops it. As it runs almost out of gas the mixture becomes very lean (speeds up), nearly runs out (slows down), a bit more gas is pumped into the bowl...lather, rinse, repeat.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Strictly a wild guess, but if this is your carburetor, look for a small vent hole somewhere in the areas I marked with red. Let's see how good a guesser I am.

Attachments

• Tillotson HO-3A.jpg
    Tillotson HO-3A.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 3

skizman

Seaman

Yeah...thanks....great info! Can't check until later tomorrow. I'll let you guys know. But today I again took the carb off. Adjusted the float a little so it closed a little early. Just before I bolted it back on I hooked the fuel line on....pumped the bulb and no gas came through. After I bolted it back on....I squeezed the bulb and gas came out the carb. Cripes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thankyou!!!!!!!

skizman

Seaman

Well Supreme Mariner....this morning I took your great advice and stuck a little wire through the vent hole, then took the boat to the lake. I took off and it ran like a champ!!! It felt good. Then I fished for an hour and tried to start the engine and that's when it all went downhill. Was really hard to start, and ran crappy...wouldn't rev up....then finally it did and it ran for 10 seconds and conked out. It did this a couple more times, then I pulled it 70-80x and it would not start. And when I squeezed the bulb...gas would shoot out the bowl air vent. I'm ready to light this piece of crap on fire!!!!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well that sounds like one solution to the problem. Seriously though, I wish I had an answer as to why it is intermittantly flooding. It looks like I may have mis-guessed on the first attempt.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

One other last ditch guess before I bow out. Is that a metal float in that carb? Does it have gas inside it, making it heavier than normal? Shake it, can you hear it? If it does, there is the problem. But surely you would have noticed that by now.

Even cork floats can soak up gas and get heavy.

Well that sounds like one solution to the problem. Seriously though, I wish I had an answer as to why it is intermittantly flooding. It looks like I may have mis-guessed on the first attempt.

i think you may have been right f_r and the vent was plugged and it was proberly plugged as gas has been exiting from the hole. Now the problem is finding why it was venting in the first place.
can you drain the carb into a container and look to see if theres any tiny floating pieces in the gas as i think you have a dirty needle seat again because you have a hose or gasket that is old and doesnt like the new style gas. A inline fuel filter close to the engine and new gas line would be a good start if you see any little pieces. Then i know you dont want to hear this but pull the carb again and this time test it before you take it to bits and see if the needle is letting gas go by.
i know this sounds dumb but i have to ask is the float the right way up and did the seat have a o-ring either under it or around it

skizman

Seaman

Thankyou. I have had the carb off almost 10x already. I do have an inline filter but it's on the fuel tank line, I'll need to put it in between the fuel pump and carb. I will put new fuel lines on. No sediment in fuel bowl. After I put the new needle/seat in...just before I bolted the carb on, I hooked the fuel line on it and squeezed the bulb and bulb got hard and no gas came out of the carb. Then I bolted the carb on...squeezed the bulb and damn gas came out of the carb. The float is metal and I have checked and shook it each time I took the carb off. There is the new metal washer under the seat and seat is tight. Float is not upside down. I'll never own another Gamefisher....that's for damn sure!
Thankyou for all your help.
Ski

skizman

Seaman

I'm at wits end with this engine. I just put another new needle and seat and float in the carb. The float is all plastic and can't be adjusted....got it from **********, and THEY SUCK!!!! Just before I bolted the carb back on, about 6x I blew in the fuel line inlet and checked to see if the needle was seating properly and it worked just fine. Again I blew air through all the holes...no trash in fuel bowl. I bolt the damn carb on and start pumping the ball(very lightly) and gas comes out the vent hole on top of the carb. Engine would only run a few seconds and quit. I did this 20x...trying to adjust the mixture screw. Every time I pulled the rope...a little squirt of gas would come out of the vent hole on top. I put the gas tank on the top of a step ladder and the gas kept running out of the vent hole on top of carb. I'm goin nuts with this!!!!
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm at wits end with this engine. I just put another new needle and seat and float in the carb. The float is all plastic and can't be adjusted....got it from **********, and THEY SUCK!!!! Just before I bolted the carb back on, about 6x I blew in the fuel line inlet and checked to see if the needle was seating properly and it worked just fine. Again I blew air through all the holes...no trash in fuel bowl. I bolt the damn carb on and start pumping the ball(very lightly) and gas comes out the vent hole on top of the carb. Engine would only run a few seconds and quit. I did this 20x...trying to adjust the mixture screw. Every time I pulled the rope...a little squirt of gas would come out of the vent hole on top. I put the gas tank on the top of a step ladder and the gas kept running out of the vent hole on top of carb. I'm goin nuts with this!!!!
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the same problem now with a 1960 18hp fastwin--check the round gasket that goes over the high speed nozzle in the carb. Its called a body boss gasket. also treat the needle gingerly when adjusting the carb. BTW the tip may look like metal but there is a good chance it is grey rubber!

skizman

Seaman

Thanks for your info, but I got rid of that boat and motor over 2 months ago. Sold it as is.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I dont blame you for getting rid of it. Have the same problem with my 9.9 gamefisher. They suck as boat motors. thank god for my evinrude. LOL