Hooked battery up backwards

war623

Seaman
I screwed up and hooked the battery up backwards. I read that this would fry the regulator/rectifier The only thing is that this model that I have does not have a regulator/rectifier. It is a 2001 90 hp Evinrude Ficht engine. It feeds directly from the stator from what I am reading from the manual. It also will not start from the key switch but I can turn the key switch to on and jump across the solenoid and it will start. Does this indicate that the solenoid is bad? Did this fry the charging system in the stator? Any help is appreciated.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Hooked battery up backwards

Have a look for the inline fuse, its normally in a black capsule near the solenoid.
Also when you get it started just see if its charging the battery with a multimeter or take out a spare battery with you til you know either way.
You can test the stator with a multimeter. It normally burns wires up too- in flames
I sometimes take out my car one for backup

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont' know about the rectifier stuff but with a voltmeter you could check voltage to the starting solenoid. by jumping a wire to the battery to small terminal to see if the solenoid works. if it does then your problem is upstream. solenoid to ignition or ignition. also if your showing more than 13 on your battery while running then your good as far as charging.

war623

Seaman

I jumped across the solenoid and got it started. The battery is not charging. I shut it off and it would start with the key intermittently.
I replaced the solenoid and it will not start with the key but I can jump the solenoid and start it. I then checked across the 12 yellow wires going to the stator, 1 to 2, 3 to 4 5 to 6 and etc. and there is no resistance. I checked all the fuses and they were all good.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I admit I don't know squat about the Ficht, but it has to have a rectifier/regulator somewhere. Granted, it may be in some other outrageously expensive part.

war623

Seaman

It does not show a rectifier/regulator for the Ficht fuel injected in the manual. You would think that it would have one but it doesn't.
I'm still stuck on the solenoid issue. I can start it by jumping the solenoid with the switch on. I changed the solenoid out and it does the same way the other one does. This friend of mine said it has to be in the key switch then. Is he right?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take the cover off of the PDP on stbd side and check all the fuses. The reg/rect is part of the EMM and you may have blown something in there. If it still runs there's still hope.

war623

Seaman

All the fuses checked out okay. There are 7 10 amp fuses in the PDP and one 20 amp inline fuse. Did I get them all?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Exactly what do you mean by "jumped" the solenoid? What did you jump? The two big nuts, or the small one, or what? Whatever, there must be more to the circuit than just the key switch and fuse. How about a neutral start switch? Sure would help to have the wiring diagram.

war623

Seaman

I jumped it from the large positive wire to the small wire on the solenoid marked "S". It would turn over okay. Did not try to start it as I have it on dry land. I checked the neutral safety switch and it checked okay. My friend said it has to be a bad switch. Just not sure though.