Bad Fuel OR Bad ignition(coil I guess)

Have Johnson J200VXSSS. Ran fine last year. I started it few days ago fired right up. Changed plugs. Ran idle for 1/2 hr. Put the boat in water and it ran fine for 5 miles. There my problem started. The engine stated shutting on low rpm. Sounded like not all cylendars are firing. Kind of less power. I pushed the throttle all the way and the tried again to start; it started running with kind of half power and coughing. I quickly engaged the gear and pushed the throttle again. It ran for few miles but still shuts down on low rpms. Last few miles I switched to 9.9hp mercury kicker (4stroke) and came to the docks at 5mph on kicker. The kicker ran fine on same fuel line.
Any ideas? I am split on changing the fuel or changing the ignition coil. What else could be wrong?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Bad Fuel OR Bad ignition(coil I guess)

Check you have sparks on all cylinders first.
Is it running fine out of water now?
inspect plugs for differences
Dont buy anything til you have done that unless you like spending

Today I started the engine again, it started running for few minutes at idle and then died. Tried again with full throttle and it started running again. It keeps running at 1/4 throttle but does not idle. It all happened yesterday. It was idling fine when I first started last weekend at home. Boat still in water. I will check the spark plugs(I put them new recently) I did measure the gap to be same as in the old spark plugs. Took a bottle of fuel to see any issue wih fuel. Looks clean though.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you have some crud in the idle jets in the carb or carbs. I would remove them and clean them first before doing anything else. You obviously have spark and timing or it would never crank and run at higher RPMs...

BiggBee007

Recruit

I have a 1981 evinrude i rebuild my carbs yearly after the winter months even though the engine sits with stabill if not the motor seems to act the same way.

florida1090

Recruit

I have a 1981 evinrude i rebuild my carbs yearly after the winter months even though the engine sits with stabill if not the motor seems to act the same way.

I'm having the same issue as the post above. Not sure where to go with it... plugs were just replaced I tried using an external fuel source brand new...compression tested and carbs literally just done in the past few days. Where do I go from here?

I'm having the same issue as the post above. Not sure where to go with it... plugs were just replaced I tried using an external fuel source brand new...compression tested and carbs literally just done in the past few days. Where do I go from here?

welcome to iboats. for the best advice and attension you will need to start your own thread so as we get deeper into what ever problem you have we dont get confussed between you and the op

Thanks folks; I will try to clean the carbs and see what happens. Hopefully this problem will go away for good;)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you checked the compression on it ?? Will the spark jump a 7/16" open air gap on a spark tester ??

Here is a little video on YouTube
Johnson 200 hp year 2000 - YouTube

Have redone carbs; cleaned spark plugs(new this year). Set gap to .030. Ran on separate gas tank with fresh gas in it. Nothing, nada. Still engine starts right up from cold; runs for few minutes and then dies. Then only starts with throttle all the way down. Keeps running until 1/4 throttle to 2000rpms. If I move throttle to idle. Engine dies. Scratching my head what could be wrong.....with amount of smoke coming can this be a problem with VRO?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Thats a lot of smoke. Your plugs must be pretty dirty after that.
You are probably right about the VRO playing up