Help..........

towboater1

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,have a 2003 Merc.2 stroke ELPT had entire fuel system rebuiolt some 4 mths.ago due to bad fuel from last owner,changed everything fuel lines from tank to fuel pump,had pump rebuilt,carbs.rebuilt new bulb new plugs,new oil tank as it was leaking and I just changed the water pump this past Thursady. Took her out Sat.for a trip boat started fine iddles fine and ran great.On the way in was running right at 4,900 RPM'S she started to sputter pulled back and was never able to get above 2,200 at wot.....Banging my head on the deck with this.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help..........

I read and understand what you have already done, but I'd bet you have some trash in the carb again. It only takes a grain of anything to plug up a card jet... Take another look at you carb or carbs for a starting place. Also check your tank to verify there is nothing in it to get sucked into the fuel system. Also check that your ignition system is okay. It could have dropped a cylinder... Check your spark to each plug to verify it will jump a good gap (some say 7/16”) and is a strong blue color and a loud snap. Any thing else is suspect...

towboater1

Seaman Apprentice

Will do gm280. The carbs will be the first thing. One can only hope and pray it's just some trash in a jet. Hope it's not leading into the ignition system as that can get EXPENSIVE.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

It doesn't take but a drop of water to stop fuel flow thru a jet. Drain each carb into a suitable container, one at a time, squeeze the primer to flush everything out. make sure the motor trim is level.

If you find anything in the fuel install a water separating fuel filter to prevent repeating the failure.

If the motor fails to accelerate over 2200 - 2500 after cleaning the carbs again it may be possible that the stator failing to produce sufficient voltage from the high speed windings.

Copy and study the CDI Electronics Ignition Troubleshooting Guide available free here

CDI Electronics Practical Outboard Ignition Troubleshooting

With a DVA meter or a DVA Adaptor and any Volt/Ohm meter you can test every component of your ignition.

REMEMBER, there is NO RETURN on electrical parts. Never assume any part is bad until tested, twice, and proven bad.