Need some quick advice...

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2001 Merc 50hp bigfoot, remote steer. A local marina wants to give me $1000.00 for it as a trade in. The motor is no longer on my boat. I think I can sell it on my own for a little more coin (I had it sold once for $2500, but fell through).

Is it possible to start this motor on a stand? How do I sell this motor without being able to run it? There is nothing at all wrong with it, I just repowered to gain a bit of speed. Is it a must to have a motor able to run when selling? I need to give the marina an answer today.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: Need some quick advice...

you need the muffs for the cooling system .wally world has them ,easy to hook up .i start motors on the stand frequently for selling if asked and to show that motor does indeed run.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have muffs, but how do I get it started since it is no longer connected to a boat and therefore no ignition key?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Once it starts, the ignition is self energizing. Thus: You do not need any of the wiring. Connect the battery wires. If the wiring harness is available connect the large red plug and turn the key. If it is not available. remove the electronics side cover. Find the starter solenoid. Jump from the battery hot lead to the small terminal NOT GROUNDED. This will activate the solenoid and crank the engine. If you are worried about finding the wrong terminal, use a heavy wire and jump across the two big terminals on the solenoid. Be prepared to see a spark.

If the engine is primed with fuel and has spark, it should start. If it needs to be choked, press the black manual over ride button on the enrichment valve and hold it while cranking. You may also need to manually open the carb(s) a very little bit.

If you do start it once, it is a simple operation.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sold a 2002, pristine, for $2200 last fall. Buyer thought I was giving it away.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I think it's a location thing. An 02 wouldn't bring any more than $1500.00 down here on a good day. Max trade in value of $750.00.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Frank. I feel totally stupid now, yesterday I remembered that I can pull start this motor. Haven't told the marina what I want to do yet. I had the motor sold for $2500 but they backed out. The motor has about 700 hours on it, avg. is less than 60 hours per year. Is that too steep a price for this motor? Is $1000 even close to reasonable? I'm near Detroit, Michigan. I've been watching CL for a long time. Only 50 that has come up NOT on a boat was a Yamaha for $4000.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You're never going to get full retail on a trade-in.

It's nothing but a personal decision, trading hassle for higher price: do you have the time to mess with selling it; do you want a lot of strangers coming around the house; do you want people wrenching on your motor; do you need the money now or in a few months?

For me, since I work all week, I don't want to spend my precious and few daylight weekend hours hanging around the house waiting for some yahoo not to show up. if I were retired, I might not care and flipping would be kinda fun. If I had a business where I could have the motor available there, I might do it. Your free time isn't free; it has value.

But to sell it, you have to be able to start it. That will be part of the hassle/higher price question--getting set up to run it for your horde of customers.