Gradual power loss under load

flye135

Cadet
Have a 2004 5.0OSI-Ef...on the trip before last, I had to wait offshore for a storm to pass and consequently ran out of fuel on the way in. Next trip was uneventful until I was on the way back in and the motor gradually starting losing power to the tune of about 500RPM's in a mile or so, and just generally sounding like it was trying it's best to hold the RPMs but just couldn't do it. The boat idles fine and starts up with no problem. It is actually at the shop right now where I am having the mechanic change out all filters and water separator. I am thinking I may have gotten some crud from the bottom of the tank, or possibly some water. Any opinions?? If it helps at all, the drop in RPMs was from about 3800 to 3300...at the point it was at 3300 I had made it back to the no wake and I have yet to try it again. I'm hoping filter changes and fuel treatments will solve this and it is not anything bigger.

Baretta82

Cadet
Re: Gradual power loss under load

I had a similar issue but different motor. Long story short it turned out to be the condenser on the distributor think you probably have electronic ignition.